Intel Nuc WiFi Issue

We’re working with a Nuc device and have followed the Resin instructions (https://docs.resin.io/installing/gettingStarted-NUC/#setting-up-your-device) and although ethernet works great,we have been unable to get WiFi to work with the installed image.

I’m noticing your instructions mention “WiFi adapter”… but the Nuc’s documentation says:

The NUC7i3BNH comes with Intel 802.11ac wireless, Intel’s fastest wireless available today, for connectivity right out-of-the-box.

Has anyone else seen similar issues and any suggestions for fixing?

Hi. This PR should solve your problem:

https://github.com/resin-os/meta-resin/pull/663

If you are in a hurry to have the fix before it gets into a new release, then just let us know and we will guide you through adding the firmware manually to your install USB stick

1 Like

Great! Yes, if you could send instructions on adding the fix to the USB stick that would be great.

The file you should copy is from this git repo: git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git

So first clone the above git repo.
Then copy the file iwlwifi-8265-22.ucode you find the newly cloned directory over to the USB stick, in the /lib/firmware/ directory.
By doing so, you should be able to see the device on the dashboard when you provision a new device.
Do these steps for the moment and let me know if you can see a new device provisioning in the dashboard when you use the changed USB stick as instructed above, without and ethernet cable plugged in.

If this works okay, I will then guide you through the rest of the process so as your wifi will keep working after you re-power-on this newly provisioned device.

There wasn’t a /lib/firmware directory on the USB so I created one and added the file.

Unfortunately, this didn’t cause the device to show up in the Resin dashboard however

Odd. There should be such a directory.
What is the resin.io OS version you are using? And just to confirm, you downloaded it from the resin dashboard, right?

We figured out the /lib/firmware issue - just had to mount it on a Linux machine. We now see the device as “Post Provisioning” in the Resin dashboard - so I think we’re ready for the next steps!

1 Like

Great then. For the next step, you should inspect your USB stick and check to see there about an .img file in the /opt/ directory. You have to loop mount that, copy the same firmware there, unmount it and that should be all.

Linux commands for loop mounting it:

$ sudo losetup --show -fP

This command should return a loop device, something like loop2 for example

Then

$ sudo mount /dev/loop2p2 /mnt/

Then copy the firmware file to /lib/firmware/

Then

$ sudo umount /dev/loop2p2

$ sudo losetup -d /dev/loop2

Then unmount the USB stick and try again now. You should now have wifi connectivity when you provision and after you re-power the board post provisioning

Worked! Thank you!

Just to be clear, this will be integrated with the next Resin OS release?

1 Like

You’re welcome. Glad to have been able to help.
Yes, the firmware you need will be available in the next resin OS release

1 Like

I think issue remains , the following errors are found into dmesg:

[ 3.698543] iwlwifi 0000:02:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-8265-24.ucode failed with error -2
[ 3.698549] iwlwifi 0000:02:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-8265-23.ucode failed with error -2

looking to /lib/firmware , those files don’t exist.

There are the following older version though:

iwlwifi-8265-21.ucode and iwlwifi-8265-22.ucode

Are you having issues with the wifi on your NUC because of these versions?