How does balena persistent logging work & how can we capture them?

Hi, we’re trying to enable persistent logging of the balena logs to a file (and if we could customize this to a specific file that’s under a mounted volume that would be great). It seems like, between the discussion here: Docker logs - viewing all stdoout and stderr - #10 by mtoman and here: Balena logging aggregator/shipper it should be possible. However as of the last post in that second discussion, apparently trying to capture logs in a third-party on-device service doesn’t work. I’ve enabled persistent logging on one of our test devices, but the result doesn’t seem to match with where the documentation at Configuration - Balena Documentation says the log files should be (see below screenshot of a terminal in the host os post-enabling of persistent logging and post-reboot).

My question is:

1. Am I missing something on how the per-device persistent logging is supposed to work?
  2. Is it possible for us to capture the logs locally within a mounted volume? We need to expose them for download from a locally-connected endpoint so can’t just point the user at cloud-stored logs,

Despite enabling persistent logging on a test device, why does the resulting log location not align with the documentation provided in the Balena Documentation?
OR
Could there be any overlooked steps or configurations necessary for the per-device persistent logging feature to function as intended?