Home network to Balena Cloud connectivity

Hi All

I have a Pi Online in Balena cloud, I would like to understand the details of How Pi join the Balena cloud. I tried looking around HOST CLI but not much help. I would like to run a security assessment before bring up more devices.

Thanks,
Amit

Have a look at our FAQ here: FAQs - Balena Documentation
maybe the points there help answer your questions… but please ask away here if anything is not clear :slight_smile:

Thank you Robert. I educated myself a lot on how after looking into various file. I am looking to enable standalone ssh access using key which require editing config.json file. I got the steps to do that however now sure what format I should use to define the key - something like “ssh-key”: ‘’
You think that should work ?

Thanks,
Amit

Hey Amit, here’s how you can add SSH keys to your device to be able to use a standard SSH client: Configuration - Balena Documentation

Hi,

My config.json looks a little different but I still inserted the OS parameter and included SSH Pub key in it. I editing the jason by hand but still not working. I am sending specific key to this key pair -

ssh$ssh -i id_ed25519 -l root 192.168.1.141 -p 22222
root@192.168.1.141: Permission denied (publickey)

Thanks,
Amit

Update: Got this working after a reload: Please find the logs for local ssh :

Feb 11 17:01:19 ecc3a34 sshd[5926]: Accepted publickey for root from 192.168.1.103 port 50037 ssh2: ED25519 SHA256:wdymbrotRBUCIwxxZ3AtIEos27zjKLXxkNoYWsBJw6Q

Thanks for help!

Hello Amit - Glad this is working for you now.

Hi Mark,

One more thing, as I have wifi interface available I disconnected the ethernet and tryinh to connect to pi hole ui via http:// but it says connection refused on port 80.

TCP-Socket$curl -v 192.168.1.151

• Rebuilt URL to: 192.168.1.151/
  • Trying 192.168.1.151…
  • TCP_NODELAY set
  • Connection failed
  • connect to 192.168.1.151 port 80 failed: Connection refused
  • Failed to connect to 192.168.1.151 port 80: Connection refused

Any idea why it is not listening on port 80 on wifi interface ?

Thanks,
Amit

Hi there, the service is by default configured with host networking, therefore it should bind to all available interfaces on the host. Does it work if you reconnect the Ethernet interface? What about if you restart the service after Wireless interface reconnects? Also, have you looked into device URLs?