Error: runtime "runc" is not supported while cgroups v2 (unified hierachy) is being used

Out of curiosity and willingness to learn I would like to build balenaOS. I wanted to try out raspberry pi 3 64 bit.

I followed the instructions from GitHub - balena-os/balena-raspberrypi: Balena support for RaspberryPI boards and tried out 1. ./balena-yocto-scripts/build/barys -m "raspberrypi3-64" or 2. the way via /balena-yocto-scripts/build/barys --remove-build --dry-run+ config change MACHINE ?= “raspberrypi3-64” then source and then bitbake balena-image

I downgraded docker version to 20.10.13 due to another problem. ( error building mkfs-hostapp-native.bb recipe - #4 by alexgg )

It is now running till:

I tried it out on two different machines. Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS and Tuxedo OS 2 (Linux - based on Ubuntu)

From the error you can see that it has to do with runc and cgroup v2 but I am super uncertain if downgrading to cgroup v1 is the way to go here or not or if there is another core probelm. Thx for any help

Hi @aek0, unfortunately balenaOS currently only builds with cgroups v1. If your distribution defaults to using cgroups v2, please boot with the following kernel command line argument:

systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=0

We are looking into cgroups v2 support but it needs an update of the balenaOS engine that is not trivial.

Hey guys, not sure if the right place to ask, but do we have any idea/estimate of when the support for cgroups v2 balena-engine will be added?