[Error] All container images fail to download (to a specific device)

I have been developing a multi-container setup on a Raspberry Pi (BalenaCloud is awesome!), with another device set up on the same application but disconnected from the internet since the outset.

Everything has been running smoothly on the ‘development Pi’, but having now finished, I have booted up the ‘production Pi’ (which is currently still on ‘Factory build’) and it repeatedly fails to download any image, each time giving an error such as:

Failed to download image ‘registry2.balena-cloud.com/v2/******@**********l’ due to '(HTTP code 500) server error - Get https://registry2.balena-cloud.com/v2/: net/http: request canceled while waiting for connection (Client.Timeout exceeded while awaiting headers) ’

Has anyone encountered this problem before? The images begin to download (at a snails pace) but then fail at some point each time, at that point, the Pi will go Offline for a while.

SSH (to the Host OS) usually fails, so too does Diagnostics (every time), The device in question is running balenaOS 2.29.2+rev2 / supervisor 9.0.1

It sounds as though the quality of the network link is very poor. Failure to download images could be several things, but if SSH is also affected, along with diagnostics, all points to that. What is the nature of the network link, and can you benchmark it in some way?

Unfortunately I don’t have physical access to the second Pi, but I have been assured it is placed right next to the Wifi router. I asked someone nearby to do a speedtest on the same wifi, and they reported ~50Mbps download, so it shouldn’t be the fault of the network (that’s not to say its not the fault of the Raspberry Pi’s Wifi module)

I have committed a release which is now just one (very small) container, it appears to be downloading, albeit very slowly, I am currently at 88%, the plan is to let at least one service install and attempt to SSH to benchmark the connection that way

nope. got to 94% then received the error:

Failed to download image 'registry2.balena-cloud.com/v2/’ due to '(HTTP code 404) no such image - no such image: registry2.balena-cloud.com/v2/: No such image: registry2.balena-cloud.com/v2/***

Now that’s another type of error entirely. Could you share support access to the device?

Done :slight_smile: (not sure if I need to send any link to the device?)

Could you share the link to the device with me via private message? (click on my username, and then “message”)

I cannot find a button to message (maybe I need a badge?), but the UUID is 89ab5ed3bd42182891a6afa381428bce if that works

It has managed to install one container, and (hopefully) update, I will see if the rest will download/install soon, but otherwise the issue is sorted thank you :smiley:

Hmmm… transient errors like this are hard to debug. If it still occurs, let us know and we can try to hop in and take a look. Cheers!