Disable auto registration?

Is it possible to disable auto registration for devices in an application? I want to always create devices explicitly (using the approach here for example: https://docs.resin.io/tools/cli/#device-register-60-application-62-).

Why? I want to create an Azure IoT device at the same time and link them with our internal metadata.

Hello,

I’m not sure I fully understand your question.
Do you want to provision devices without pairing them to an application? A device must belong to an application.
I’d be great if you could elaborate a bit more regarding what you want to do and what steps you are following.

Best,
ilias

Hi, you might want to check out how automatic registration is done in our AWS and IBM Bluemix examples. There’s also some Azure docs, that we are happy to get feedback on https://docs.resin.io/integrations/azure/

The general method is either a) having an external service that can communicate both with your 3rd party provider and resin, and when a new device shows up on resin, it sets it up with the 3rd party service (the AWS example); b) devices self-register onto the 3rd party platform (the Bluemix example).

I guess what you mean by disabling auto-registration is that if you manually register a device, then you have to manually generate the config.json (also with the resin-cli), and set your device up with that config, then the device will boot up and start with that info (and since it has “registration info”, it won’t try to re-register). Does this make sense? I think that would be possible to match your workflow.

I’ve actually figured out how to do the registration part. I can provision a resin device via the command line tools (resin device register). I can then inject the the device id into the config.json file (as you said).

As I understand it, the default behavior is for resin to automatically provision a new device if a device id is not specified in config.json. I want to know if it’s possible to disable this behavior for a given application.

1 Like