Devices with 2.13.6+rev1 not pulling the latest release

I created some releases and expected them to be applied to the devices that I had commissioned earlier. However, the releases all had “Devices 0” and no indication of what went wrong. When I was looking around in the host OS I accidentally found the output of “date” to be 2 weeks behind, so I figured that would cause HTTPS issues. After changing the date manually (date 08062018) the device started downloading the release right away.

So I was sharing this topic as a help to anyone experiencing the same, and for Resin to figure out of something in 2.13.6 is stopping the Raspberry Pi from doing a NTP sync on startup.

Apparently the systemd-timesyncd is missing from 2.13.6+rev1

Hi,

From v2.13.1 of resinOS we’ve replaced systemd-timesyncd with chrony, although it should have been syncing NTP correctly.

Does the network you’re on have full whitelisting of the required ports needed for resin (including port 123 for NTP)?

Best regards,

Heds

The network is just NAT without any firewall restrictions. Apparently chrony had not started correctly. After issuing a chrony restart it resumed normally and the download started immediately.

It sounds like we encountered this issue as well. It was resolved on next reboot, but didn’t get time on startup and reverted to the build time instead.

Unfortunately Chrony was a bit temperamental in v2.13.6. We have merged a pull request that has fixed a few issues in v2.14

In the meantime, you can do a quick check on chrony using

systemctl status chronyd
chronyc sources

If those give a timeout, daemon not found etc.

systemctl restart chronyd

should temporarily fix things

Regards
ZubairLK

Hi. resinOS version 2.14.3+rev1 has been released for raspberry pi3. We believe this version fixes the problem you reported. Can you give this version a try? Thank you

Seems that I can not update it from the dashboard, right? It says the Resin OS is at the latest v2. I don’t have on-premise access ATM, so I can not install a dev-version unfortunately.

@herman we can switch it over to a production version, if you’d like to, and then it can be updated from the dashboard.

Sure. Let me know if you do this, then I will update the device.

@herman we’d need the UUID of your device, and enabling support access for it, then we can switch it for you. Thanks!

I’ve enabled access. Where should I put the UUID? It is one of my two devices and only 1 is online, you should be able to find it :wink:

But we don’t know your username from here, so it’s not that easy to find. :wink:

But will send a PM and take it from there.