Device connected to the Internet but not showing on the dashboard

May last year, a little before Balena started anoucing a major change to BalenaOS which would make devices running an earlier version unable to connect to the cloud, we bought and gave out 30 devices to the groups we work with, most of which are offline most of the time. And that’s a very unfortunate circunstace, as many devices are only coming online for the first time now, and many will still probably take some time.

In the start of January this year a device came online for the first time without a problem, but today I was helping a partner get a device online, and it wouldn’t, despite the ethernet port blinking. I wonder if it’s a problem with the device’s ethernet, or the disconnection of older OSs really kicking in. Does anyone have any information on that?

@mpous

Hi @luandro,

You can see the full details about our move to Cloudlink in this post, which includes a lot of details about what actually has changed technically, and provides some insight for troubleshooting: Sunsetting vpn.balena-cloud.com and Introducing Cloudlink - balena Blog

The first thing to check is this summary of actions we usually ask people take, depending on the version of balenaOS they’re running:

• Devices running resinOS/balenaOS version < 2.14.0 need an OS update.
  • Devices running v2.14.0 < balenaOS < v2.61.2 need a reboot or an OS update.
  • Devices running ESR releases v2019.10 <= balenaOS < v2021.01.0 need a reboot.

If the appropriate suggestion doesn’t work, please let us know more about the failure (is it not connecting at all? are there logs you can share?) and let us know what the outcome of reading the rest of the post and trying those additional suggestions is.

Thanks for the reply @the-real-kenna

The devices are all using balenaOS 2.113.12, so they shouldn’t be affected, is that correct?

If there’s any debugging on the device itself needed, that’s impossible, as they are in the hands of people without the technical capacity to do so.

Hello @luandro a device running balenaOS 2.113.12 shouldn’t be affected by the cloudlink introduction that Kenna shared in the previous post.

Could you please share more details of the issues that you see? Is the device being connected behind a firewall?

That’s great news! I’m having a hard time debugging, as the person with the device in hand has very little technical knowledge. I’ll be jumping in a call with them in a couple of hours. They are connecting the device through ethernet, and have tried in two different routers. Anything else besides a firewall, or a captive-portal, that could be blocking the connection?

1 Like

@luandro check here to learn the ports that need to be available for the balena devices

1 Like