Delta size not shown with every "balena push" to the cloud

@adamshapiro0, just a quick heads up as it’s been a while since we chatted – we’re going to stop waiting for deltas to be generated at build time which should address your use case. I haven’t started work on this yet, but is close to the top of my priorities list so you should expect news from us in the following few weeks. We’ll keep you updated.

Awesome, that’s great! Any word on the on-demand delta generation (against a specified base release) and size printout?

That’s coming too – immediately after. It’ll take a while however, as it is far more involved, so I wouldn’t expect news about it for a couple of months.

Gotcha. Ok, well looking forward to the changes.

1 Like

@adamshapiro0 we recently made improvements to build-time deltas – specifically, we stopped creating the second delta from “most-popular” release. Further improvements will take a while to come to fruition and I wanted to make sure this is helpful for you in the short term. Did you notice an improvement to your build times?

Yes, our CI builds do seem to be a bit shorter. They’re mostly taking 2-3 minutes instead of 10+ minutes now, so that’s definitely helpful. We haven’t done too many manual builds separate from CI in the last week or two, but we’ll keep an eye on it for sure.

Maybe I’m missing something. Where can I actually see the size of delta for each service in my docker-compose after a successful balena push? I would like to measure the amount of data my device needs to download with various incremental changes as I am using a metered connection in production environment.