Camera streamer & player with auto discovery

Back sleeping monitor

I can’t sleep in this weather (37°C), so, I quickly hacked camera streamer & camera player with auto discovery. I did it because we’d like to monitor if our baby is back sleeping or not when we put her into a bed.

What this auto discovery means? Just put both devices on the same network and they’ll find each other. No need to configure IP address of the player, etc.

Camera player

Functionality

• Announces _cameraplayer._udp service via Avahi (host)
  • Launches omxplayer, which is playing whatever is send to the port 5000 via UDP

Hardware

• Raspberry Pi 3B+
  • Raspberry 7" touch display

Camera streamer

Functionality

• Discovers _cameraplayer._udp service via Zeroconf (Python)
  • Launches raspivid, which then starts sending video stream to the discovered IP address & port

Hardware

• Raspberry Pi 3B+
  • Raspberry Camera V2

Hardware notes

You don’t have to use RPi 3B+ for camera streamer. I used it, because I had it at hand. It can be easily replaced with Zero W for example.

It’s summer, lot of light, Camera V2 is enough now. During winter, when it’s too dark quiet soon, I’d recommend to replace it with IR cut camera (this one for example). Because of this feature:

Embedded removable IR-CUT filter, eliminating colour distortion in the daylight

Which means that you can use it with any light conditions.

And finally, here’s the picture :slight_smile:

1 Like

Camera streamer update

Camera

Replaced with:

There’s a ton of similar cameras for RPi. Did choose this one, because it has built-in IR-CUT, but the important fact is that everything is done automatically. Other models around require you to use GPIO to remove the IR filter, etc. This one is plug & play.

Case

Like this one. Can easily make new holes for some camera holder.

Photos

Case

Camera - front

Camera - back

As you can see, I did attach small heat sinks there. These LED lights can be pretty hot in a few minutes. Let’s see how hot they’ll be after couple of hours :slight_smile:

Not as sharp as the 8M V2 camera (this one is 5M), but good enough for my use case. Photo of the 7" screen (800x480) with the stream. Have to tweak potentiometers a bit to catch the right moment when it switches to night mode.

@zrzka great work as always, thanks for sharing! :slight_smile: