balenaSound - all containers exited

Reinstalled and again same problems as initially. UUID Is bb8643e1328ca165591bd85203c05873 and I activated support for a day. Thanks for the help!

Hi there,

I’ve had a chat with the folks here and our feeling is that the container engine is failing health checks/timing out while starting up due to the Pi Zero having a pretty slow processor. Are you able to run balenaSound on a more capable device? We have had this project running on the Pi Zero before however, so we’re testing with some devices here to see what we can find.

Thanks for your patience,
James.

Don’t have another device at hand unfortunately :frowning:

@achmetinternet I’ve just deployed a test Pi Zero device here with an OS version matching yours and all seems to work OK. I did use a production OS but will try a development one too. It is quite slow to start up but ultimately works fine. I noticed you had tried a 2GB and a 32GB SD card - could you let us know what the speed of those cards is and perhaps the manufacturer & model too? I’m using a Sandisk Ultra 8GB, for comparison, although we usually recommend the Sandisk Extreme Pro.

I just added the hifiberry-dac variable and it all exited again. Let me check the cards: the 32GB is a Verbatim, cf. attached screenshot. The other one a regular SanDIsk

I did experience that the containers were showing as exited the first time I added that but it did start up and start working correctly when I waited - this is what I meant by slow startup. The 32GB card definitely looks like it should be OK.

So you mean, I just need to wait? Just restarted again :wink:

OK, it is all running and I see the device BT on my phone as PhilipsPiSound but when I connect it all goes well and the device lands in my list of connected devices but it doesn’t really connect, i.e. I cannot play sound.

Trying again with the 32GB card. Letting you know once I hooked up the 2GB again, will be in about three hours or so. Will take it to work with me :slight_smile:

EDIT: none of the issues occur with my 32GB card. But I’d like to use the 2GB card since I have it laying around and no other use for it.

Ok, so it is online again. The difference I noticed in the BT menu of the phone is, that the setup with 32GB showed as an audiodevice, i.e. with the symbol of headphones, whilst the one with 2GB just shows up with a Bluetooth symbol and doesn’t connect but moves to the list of known devices.

Can you provide more info about your 2GB card? (speed, manufacturer and model)

@achmetinternet as you’ve found, that card isn’t going to work, it’s too slow to run the application; from what I can find that model is a class 4 card, released in 2009. It’s likely too slow even when new but if you’ve also been using it for a long time in different devices the likelihood is that it has significant wear on it as well.

1 Like