balenaPihole and Tailscale VPN

Today I setup Balena Pi Hole (GitHub - klutchell/balena-pihole: Pi-hole is a Linux network-level advertisement and Internet tracker blocking application.) and noticed that it has Tailscale support. It says for accessing the pihole admin UI from outside the network.

Tailscale
Included is a Tailscale service in order to access your Pi-hole from anywhere.

I enabled PUBLIC DEVICE URL from the balena device summary screen and I can access the admin UI from outside of my network.

The Tailscale Pi hole link seems to suggest that I could use the tailscale from a device to use pihole to block ads via the tailscale VPN.

Step 3: Set your Raspberry Pi as your DNS server

You can configure DNS for your entire Tailscale network from Tailscale’s admin console. Go to the DNS page and enter your Raspberry Pi’s Tailscale IP address as a global nameserver.

I’d like to do this, but I’m not sure how to access the tailscale account that’s been setup in this Balena Project.

Is this possible to do? Does anyone one know?

Hey @cfasnacht , as we discussed on this GitHub issue, the included Tailscale service cannot be registered to any Tailnet if you joined your device to the public fleet via balenaHub.

However if you deploy the app to your own fleet following the deploy instructions, you can register to your own Tailnet with the TS_AUTH_KEY environment variable.