BalenaOS for Coral Dev Board (Update Needed)

Summary: Updating the OS with new linux-imx stuff solves major issue!

So, we’re having a lot of issues using Coral Dev Boards to what initially seemed hardware (TPU) failures, since devices TPUs would just stop working.

This is the dmesg log from a Working vs Buggy device:

Then we found someone with a very similar issue:

Looking at linux-imx - Git at Google we see it already have those fixes, but balena is not using it yet (it’s using release-day instead of latest master commit).

We just went ahead and baked an image with the new stuff, updating the layers/meta-balena-coral/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-imx_4.18.98.bb to the new commit.

That solves the issue.
I did send the pull request for GitHub - balena-os/balena-coral

Can you guys provide an estimate of when that change can make to the dashboard so I can deploy to the faulty devices? It’s very important for us. I’m also available to provide more info and even enable balena support access on some devices (faulty and fixed) if that would make things quicker.

This is the pull request: Update linux-imx version by heekinho · Pull Request #218 · balena-os/balena-coral · GitHub

1 Like

Hello @jairo

Thank you for your message, summary and pull request. I contacted the balenaOS team in order to double-check your PR and see how we can solve this issue.

We will keep you updated :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey @jairo, I added a note to your PR and I’m making some changes to the repo to make sure we can run the tests on your PR.

Also a quick heads up that we don’t currently have this device type in our automated testing rig, so we will be unable to accelerate the release and it will need to be prioritized among other manual testing tasks if your PR is merged.

Hey, @klutchell. Thanks for reviewing the PR. I did update it :wink:
Can you guys provide an estimate on when it can make it to the dashboard OS update?
Or alternatives of how we can update the devices until it’s there?
Devices keep falling apart, which is hurting our experience.

Hi @jairo, I left a comment on your PR, could you please reword the commit message so that versioning checks can pass?
Thanks

Hey, @acostach. Thanks for reviewing.
I change the PR. Not sure why it is failing the “Is PR open” check, tho.
Let me know if you need me to change anything else :wink:
Thanks for the support, guys

Thanks @jairo, I opened another PR with your change in the meantime and will check if everything’s fine on that one, merge it there if it’s quicker. Once it’s merged we’ll run the manual testing suite on the build to see if everything works as expected and then release the image in the cloud. We’ll keep you updated on the progress

1 Like

Hi @jairo , a new release is now available for the coral-dev board at v2.108.26 and it includes the kernel update you PRed

2 Likes

Hi, @acostach! Excellent! I already applied the OS update and the devices are working nicely! :tada:
Thank you all for the support and quick action! Kudos @klutchell @mpous @acostach

1 Like