balena Push to Jetson AGX Orin in Local Mode hangs

MACHINE=“jetson-agx-orin-devkit”
Host OS: balenaOS 5.0.7
Supervisor: 15.2.0

Greetings. I seem to be overlooking something and need a hint as to what might be causing balena push <ip address> to infinitely hang, in Local Mode, at the last [Debug] line seen below:

$ balena push 192.168.1.xxx --debug
[debug] new argv=[/home/xxxxxxxx/.local/bin/balena-cli/balena,/snapshot/balena-cli/bin/balena,push,192.168.1.xxx] length=4
[debug] Deprecation check: 0.62962 days since last npm registry query for next major version release date.
[debug] Will not query the registry again until at least 7 days have passed.
[Debug]   Using build source directory: . 
[Debug]   Pushing to local device: 192.168.1.xxx
[Debug]   Checking we can access device
[Debug]   Sending request to http://192.168.1.xxx:48484/ping
[Debug]   Checking device supervisor version: 15.2.0
[Info]    Starting build on device 192.168.1.xxx
[Debug]   Loading project...
[Debug]   Resolving project...
[Info]    No "docker-compose.yml" file found at "."
[Info]    Creating default composition with source: "."
[Debug]   Creating project...
[debug] Event tracking error: Timeout awaiting 'response' for 0ms
[Debug]   Tarring all non-ignored files...
[Debug]   Tarring complete in 3 ms
[Debug]   Fetching device information...
[Debug]   Sending request to http://192.168.1.xxx:48484/v2/local/device-info
[Debug]   Found build tasks:
[Debug]       main: build [.]
[Debug]   Resolving services with [jetson-agx-orin-devkit|aarch64]
[Debug]   Found project types:
[Debug]       main: Standard Dockerfile
[Debug]   Probing remote daemon for cache images
[Debug]   Using 10 on-device images for cache...
[Debug]   Starting builds...
[Debug]   main: Using platform option for build: linux/arm64/v8

In the past, [Build] would follow almost immediately starting with:

[Build]   [main] Step 1/5 : FROM python:3.12-alpine

Any hints would be appreciated.

1 Like

Hey @crtama , sorry to hear you are having issues with local mode push.

Can you confirm the version of balena CLI you are using? When did this problem start happening, was it working before and something changed?

Is only one device having this issue, have you tried other devices or other workstations to narrow down the scope of the issue?

Let us know and we will see if we can help get it sorted!

Hi @klutchell. “balena-cli”: “17.4.11”. While it is probably coincidental, I noticed the problem around the balena-supervisor sub-version change from v15.0 to v15.1. Everything was fine up through November 2023 after which I briefly stepped away from the project and returned to it mid-December. I updated to v15.2 hoping it would solve the issue, but no joy.

Yes, a couple of days ago my colleague pushed the same, very simple, “Hello World” type local Docker build to his Orin with success. So it seems to be localized to my device. Side note: there is another user, @matrover, who may be sharing a similar issue but on a different device.

I just tried updating my Supervisor to a bunch of v14 and v15 and v15.1 versions and haven’t been able to reproduce the issue.

Have you tried switching off local mode and turning it back on? What about rebooting?

Also there are some more recent releases of the CLI that might have addressed the issue already you could try installing.

Ah, got it. I didn’t go back far enough. Things were fine up through “balena-cli”: “17.4.6” (8-Dec-2023). Releases after that are broken for me.

Thanks for reporting. This problem sounds like GitHub issue 2715. It is a regression in balenaCLI introduced in v17.4.7. We are working on a fix in PR 2719.

1 Like

@crtama We have published balenaCLI v17.4.12 to roll back the change that caused the local push failure. The problem was an error with a particular version of a node module we use in a few projects. We have a solution to leapfrog the error, and should implement that soon. Any changes will be transparent to a user of the CLI.