Balena push openBalena alternative

@barryjump, I’m not sure I follow what you mean here.

Sorry for the delay in replying, unfortunately I don’t have much time online due to russia’s insane war against my country, Ukraine.

@teslov, great to hear from you, and thoughts are with you.

Indeed, @teslov we’re thinking about you and praying you and your loved ones stay safe!

@maggie0002 I was referring to the conversation here: https://forums.balena.io/t/what-are-your-development-workflows/365847/12?u=barryjump

I have been looking for a way to continue developing in cloud IDEs like Codespaces, but still continue using Balena local mode.

Now that GH allows self hosted Action runners on ARM machines, we should be able to run the GH runner on a Pi in the same network as the local Balena devices, and have an action step that installs the balena CLI and deploys to devices in local mode.

It could make for a nice collaborative dev workflow.

1 Like

@barryjump, I think it is the workflow I am a bit confused about. So you mean to use a self-hosted runner to deploy to your local hardware? How does this link to Codespaces? :confused:

@barryjump @teslov, this could be a nice solution for the runner, potentially free Arm builders: Cloud Free Tier | Oracle

1 Like

Sure, but my main focus was on the creating RPI with balena, which hosts GH builder on it, and manage it via balena. It is like build farm on your edge devices :slight_smile:

1 Like