Balena Dash suddenly dead - whole fleet affected/down

Hi, I’ve just upgraded our units runnig on generic x86’s. Standard intel Atom mini and one Intel i5 pc’s.
Build used: Generic x86_64.

After the update I face a restart loop on FBCP, and from what I can google, the error is caused by running a ARM application on a unsupported platform. How can this be?

Tried with a “clean” Balena Dash image → Etcher → reinstall from USB → Same result.

The computer does boot, but stalls on the Balena boot logo - it’s online in Balena Cloud. (the computer is supposed to boot into a website in Chromium)

I face no issues on our Raspberry Pi4 units.

From BalenaCloud terminal window on FBCP:

Restarting service 'fbcp sha256:753c9b5556ce8574b963a6396bd74f2c8e9e0365f3b982a51f66131719e3ecc3'
 fbcp  standard_init_linux.go:211: exec user process caused "exec format error"
Service exited 'fbcp sha256:753c9b5556ce8574b963a6396bd74f2c8e9e0365f3b982a51f66131719e3ecc3'

I have been running Balena Cloud with Dash for quite some time, but this one I do not understand?

Hi @Pemmi, sorry for the delayed reply on this one. It sounds like the device boot process is fine, but the container image / project you have pushed might definitely be expecting an Arm platform. If you can share the Docker container that you have pushed to the x86 Fleet, we can take a look to see if there is anything noticeable there. Thanks!

Hi @dtischler,

Thanks for getting back to me. I agree, it tryes to run arm on x86 - the thing is that I use the standard x86 image from Balena, with Balena Dash, no custom files or anything like that.

What’s the best option to share the image?

Hi @Pemmi, sorry for the delay. Feel free to Grant Support Access to the device, as documented here: Grant support access - Balena Documentation

Then, DM me the link to the Fleet. That way I can take a look at it. Thanks!

I will DM you now.

Hi @pemmi

David has recently moved on to new adventures - so this thread may have fallen through the cracks. I’m one of the maintainers for balenaDash, so I can try and help here. Do you still have the issue? If so, could you re-enable support access and let me know the device UUID?

Phil

Hey @pemmi,

Checking in again as we’d love to help you out here. However, we require device support access! If you’re still around, let us know and our crew can help.