Any board with a up to date NPU supports Balana Cloud out of the box?

Looking to run Frigate with multiple RTSP feeds with Yolov8. They have recently released a good community support of the Rockchip series but on the hardware compatibility list nothing newer than RK3399 is supported.

There’s quite a few RK3588 boards in the markets with 6 TOPS NPU. Any thoughts on when / how to get it in Balena?

1 Like

Hello @csvke

Let me ask internally to see how we can help you!

Hi @csvke,

We don’t have any boards currently supporting the RK3588. I took a quick look at some boards that might be interesting using Hackerboards (you can sort by SBCs with a particular SoC!) and came up with the following:

Since there’s no Yocto BSP, it makes the work a bit more complex, so we would have you work with a Partner to do the Custom Device Support process (charged by time and materials). We do have a relationship with Radxa, so of the two that would be my recommendation if you otherwise wouldn’t have an opinion on which to choose.

Anyway, sorry that there’s nothing supported by default, but it’s definitely possible if you have a project that would support the cost involved.

@csvke I had another idea! We are actually coming out soon (next month or two) with compatibility for the Beaglebone AI-64… would it work for your use-case?

I also noticed that Frigate’s site recommends the Coral TPU… we offer support for the Coral Dev Board if you’re interested as well:

Let us know what you decide. Now I’m excited to hear, haha.

IMH I don’t think the Coral.ai dev board will work well with frigate. I don’t think the board has HW acceleration with h264/h265 video transcoding which is essential for Frigate (CCTV NVR + computer vision). Someone also mentioned the Cu is not fast enough.

[[Support]: Coral Dev Board 1GB recommended? · Issue #2721 · blakeblackshear/frigate · GitHub](See here)

A quick google does not come out with lots of resources on ffmpeg built for its HW video transcoding for Beaglebone AI-64’s TI chip so it will create another layer of complexity when using frigate, which I’m desperately trying to avoid.

I personally think the Radxa Rock5b has a lot of flexibility and potential with a fantastic price point.

• eMMC is packaged as module so it’s easier to flash BalenaOS onto it with an inexpensive eMMC module USB adaptor

• WiFi / BLE is done as and M2 module extension so in some industrial use case where wireless connectivity is not necessary, users don’t have to pay for it

• Radxa produced their own 25W PoE hat

• Rockchip has decent HW acceleration for video transcoding with fairly completed and active community support for ffmpeg (also implemented into Frigate)

And on a SoC and Dev board level, there are quite a few manufacturers making RK3588 dev board which broadens the user base. Also RK3588 has a cheaper version of RK3588S which has less peripherals (but I think they aim to market this RK3588s for consumer products like tablets).

Radxa, on top of that, produce CM-style system-on-module.

So with all these factors combined, I think it’s easier to invest resources into building a Yocto BSP for RK3588/ Radxa Rock5b.

I’ll be getting one and build PoC without any OTA functions for now and see.

But I was surprised to see the lack of hardware option for hardware equipped with 2+ TOPS NPU in Balena except NVIDIA Jetson.
And I stupidly bought a Jetson Orin Nano 4GB that seems to me is the only Jetson that you guys DO NOT SUPPORT. I was sloppy and was distracted by how many models the Jetson family has and chose the one that won’t work with Balena….

Can you guys please state somewhere on your website that Jetson Orin Nano 4GB is not supported? See here maybe in Here just don’t want people to make the same mistakes like me again

@csvke thanks for the additional details and feedback about the various options.

We actually have been looking at supporting the Jetson Orin Nano 4GB, but hadn’t had a lot of folks requesting it yet. It’s quite a lot of manual work to add support for a board currently, so we mostly add boards we know people need for large projects. So anytime you have need for something, I would suggest reaching out to your account manager and letting them know so they can advocate for you internally to get it supported!

In the short term, if we get the Orin Nano 4GB supported, will that solve for your current plans? What is your timeline for the project?

For my upcoming work, I will stick with using Radxa Rock5b, and in fact, there’s a Yocto BSP for Radxa Rock5b, but it needs some work in which I am working on it.

You guy’s repo is linked to a seemingly abondened repo of radxa here while a more recent repo for Radxa’s Yocto BSP is here, and Radxa also created a manifest in github which pulls different meta-layer and recipes from other sources to create some sort of an 'Yocto SDK for the Rockchip SOC boards.

If you follow the Repository for rockchip yocto SDK here, with some debugging effort depending on your host machine for building (and also clone poky from Yoctoproject.org’s mirror in github: edit line 9 of this file and change it to <remote fetch="https://github.com/yoctoproject/" name="yocto"/>), I can build a Yocto for Radxa Rock5b.

I find it a bit confusing with how the Radxa team manages all their repos, although the folks are very helpful.

My next step will be to go through different resources and find a common denominator of everything invovled and try to build a Balena Custom Device Support (CDS)

My Radxa Rock5b is being delivered soon, I will keep you posted on it.

1 Like

Since I have started to work on Balena Custom Device Support (CDS) for Radxa Rock5b, I think it’s better to start another thread here

1 Like