Using raspberry pi camera with BalenaOS

Hi,

For a school project, I need to stream video from a camera connected to the Raspberry Pi. The camera I’m using is the official Raspberry Pi camera. The Pi is a Pi 4.

I have found several tutorials on the internet, none of which work.

The problem I’m running into is the well-known “* failed to open vchiq instance” error.

On the internet I’ve found tons of posts that instruct you to run something along the lines of “sudo usermod -a -G video $USER” to change permissions so that a non-root user can use the camera video core.

However, non of the solutions I’ve found on the internet have worked. Solutions on the internet direct you to the /dev/vchiq directory and so forth but my problem is that this directory DOES NOT EXIST on my Raspberry Pi.

I have really looked everywhere and can’t understand why I can not find a solution.

Does anyone have advice?

Thanks in advance,

Elias

#----- Dockerfile -----

FROM balenalib/raspberrypi3-debian-python

RUN apt-get update

RUN apt-get install python-picamera

RUN apt-get install python3-picamera

RUN usermod -a -G video root

COPY test .

CMD [“bash”, “bash_script.sh”]

#----- Bash script -----

#!/bin/bash

raspistill -o cam.jpg

Hi there, here is an article from our blog that you might find useful: https://www.balena.io/blog/build-a-raspberry-pi-based-network-camera. It explains how to build a Raspberry Pi-based network camera using WebRTC.

Hope you’ll find this useful.
Please let me know if this works for your project and I’ll be glad to answer any further questions you may have.
Georgia

1 Like

How to control motionEye CCTV system on a Raspberry Pi 3 remotely using balenaCloud