USB Cellular Modem for Multiple Endpoint

We are planning to integrate a cellular modem into our BBB solution in the near future. In our application we have multiple devices near each out. We’d ideally like to be able to use a singular cellular modem for all of them.

Has anyone else had any experience with this or a similar situation? The supported modems are all USB or mPCI. We have some spare USB slots, but not a mPCI solution. So I was hoping that we would be able to have some sort of USB solution. Maybe a USB Splitter and either USB relays, powered USB Cables, or USB over Ethernet.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Sam

Hey @sam, some of the modems on our “Known Tested Modems” list are USB modems, you can check those out for some that we were running for a while now.

As for using a the same modem for multiple devices, I don’t believe it would be workable. The USB splitters and relays, etc, do not allow the use of the same device continuously across multiple hosts. And if it was, it’s very unclear how networking would work, all hosts trying to manipulate the modem…

Will raise this question to our devices team, but I find it unlikely that there’s a clear way ahead with that multi-device-single-USB-modem conundrum.

Hi,
We spoke with our engineers internally and they agree that there is no clear way to a multi-device-single-USB-modem solution. Let us know if we can help in any other way.
Kind regards,
Theodor

All,

Thanks for looking into the issue internally. I suppose if we wanted to do something like this then we’d have to look into completely separate cellular modems that manage themselves.

Thanks again,

Sam