Upgrading from v2.x.x to v3.x.x

Thanks for looking into it. Unfortunately, I can’t get it reproduced, but it’s indeed a bit concerning.
If you need more information or tests, let me know!

Maybe a bit offtopic but did you manage to update your devices remotely? If so how as it is not supported by open-balena yet? Care to explain here or DM me?

Hi @gerb0n

What do you mean by update devices remotely not supported by open-balena? It is actually supported, and is one of the cornerstones of openbalena/balenaCloud

Perhaps I misunderstood your comment

@anujdeshpande I meant HostOS upgrades. I know this topic is 12 months old but this topic also mentions it was not supported at the time.

Hi there @gerb0n,

I opened an issue to track remote host OS updates as part of openBalena here: https://github.com/balena-io/open-balena/issues/102. Feel free to subscribe to that issue for updates!

1 Like

Hi,

I was thinking of upgrading my v1.x.x to v3.x.x openBalena server.
However, I use only Raspberry Pi Zero devices, and their latest available balenaOS version is BalenaOS 2.54.2+rev1, where openBalena v3 says the minimum required version is v2.58.3.

Reading this topic, it looks like my devices on 2.54 might still work fine, but it is not advised.

Why is the RPI Zero still on 2.54 ? Is there some kind of limitation ? Should I wait for the OS update before updating my backend ?

Thanks in advance
Tim

Hi, our advice is to wait, we can’t guarantee your devices will keep working if you update your backend.

1 Like