Update feedback (hardware)

Hi all,

Couldn’t think of a perfect title, but nonetheless, is it possible to show feedback when an update is busy / being downloaded / being installed and when an update is completed?

We have Pi’s laying in our warehouse, flashed and everything, but before we ship them we’d like to update them. However, we’d like a way to know (by a flashing LED for example) to see the update is busy or completed.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Hi,

the best way to do this would be to include an “update notification” container in your application. You can query the supervisor on your device for the application update status: Interacting with the balena Supervisor - Balena Documentation and then based on that turn on/off/blink the LEDs on the Pi as you need. Is this what you are looking for? Which Pi version in particular are you using? Different version have different ways of controlling the onboard LEDs.

Hi Michal,

Thanks for your answer! This was what we had in mind, but I thought maybe Balena already provides in this or has another way of knowing without looking on a Balena dashboard. But great to know we share the same solution!
I’ll probably implement it that way if I can’t think of another.

The Pi version we’re using for this application is the Raspberry Pi 4 as well as the Raspberry Pi 3B, both using the 64-bit OS.