Toggle open/close port on a running container

I am trying to minimize my attack surface for a running balena device. I have a service exposing port 80 on the device. This service is used to manage and maintain my application and I can’t allow this port to be exposed to the Internet at all times.

After some searching, I have discovered 2 options:

• Add a simple microservice that can proxy my original port 80. I can shutdown this service from the dashboard.
  • Using reverse ssh and then iptables to drop and accept incoming traffic as per requirement.

Is this any other way I can achieve this? Ideally I would to set up some environment variable that I can set and clear to dynamically open/close ports.

Hi, @xandfury,
May I ask what kind of management do you provide on port 80?
For sure you could depend on an env var to enable/disable port 80 or even turn on/off a web server. If you prefer not to manipulate the original server listening on port 80, then a proxy container service should also work and you can probably add more env vars to provide a whitelist of allowed ip ranges.

@thgreasi Thanks for the prompt reply :slightly_smiling_face:.

For sure you could depend on an env var to enable/disable port 80

Can you please explain this a bit more? A link or a tutorial would be great help. And if possible this too:

you can probably add more env vars to provide a whitelist of allowed ip ranges.

I have Node-Red connecting to several other containers and also fetching data from serial devices. I don’t want to turn off the web server and running a proxy service container is too much of an overhead.