Stuck at /dev/console does not exist when trying to setup systemd

Hi guys,

I’m trying to get systemd running according to the Installing your own Initsystem article. I tried the examples in the article and also used this one here GitHub - balena-io-examples/balenalib-systemd-example: Example project using systemd with balenalib images. However, ultimately I always get stuck with

mount: /tmp/tmpmount/console: special device /dev/console does not exist. I can’t seem to find a solution and was hoping you guys can help me out.

Dockerfile
balenalib-systemd-example/Dockerfile.template at master · balena-io-examples/balenalib-systemd-example · GitHub same as this except i’m using

Basically the same as the examples, except I’m using the raspberrypi3-debian base image.
entry.sh and balena.service are the same from the example above.

Note; I can’t post my Dockerfile etc as apparently new Users are only allowed to post 5 links and it recognises lines like entry.sh as a link - haha

Thanks in advance

Hey there,
Welcome to the forums!

It seems like the service does not have enough privileges. Can you please confirm if you are using a privileged container?

If for some security reason you do not wish to make the container privileged, you can set the required capabilities for the container so that systemd can be run in the container. You can refer to the guide in our masterclass here

Also, fyi, if you want to share the Dockerfile or docker-compose file but are limited by no of links, you can also paste the contents in a codeblock in your post :slight_smile:

Hope this is helpful

Cheers