Possible to run Avahi for Samba Shares in multi-container environment?

Seems that Avahi is used on the host for advertising SSH. Is it possible to install Avahi in a container and advertise some Samba shares as well?

Currently struggling with this setup. Seems it is blocked by dbus:

Found user 'avahi' (UID 102) and group 'avahi' (GID 106).
Successfully dropped root privileges.
avahi-daemon 0.6.32 starting up.
dbus_bus_get_private(): Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
WARNING: Failed to contact D-Bus daemon.
avahi-daemon 0.6.32 exiting.

Hi, likely the best path is using the system Avahi daemon to advertise things

• you have to talk to the system Avahi daemon over the system D-Bus connection
  • no need to install Avahi in the container

We have a (currently pretty old) example that might give some hints (using Python’s D-Bus libraries to talk to it, but should be workable over any other way to talk to D-Bus)

Let us know if you have a chance to try anything like this, and we’ll be looking into bringing that project up-to-date, but should be still okay.

1 Like

Hi, likely the best path is using the system Avahi daemon to advertise things

you have to talk to the system Avahi daemon over the system D-Bus connection

no need to install Avahi in the container

We have a (currently pretty old) example that might give some hints (using Python’s D-Bus libraries to talk to it, but should be workable over any other way to talk to D-Bus)

Let us know if you have a chance to try anything like this, and we’ll be looking into bringing that project up-to-date, but should be still okay.
1 Like

Hey @drewcovi, my colleague also brought my attention to this project, that should be another example example of publishing a service with the system Avahi, in case it’s useful:

1 Like

Hey @drewcovi, my colleague also brought my attention to this project, that should be another example example of publishing a service with the system Avahi, in case it’s useful:

1 Like