openBalena - managing services associated/pushed to App

Been playing with the platform. Very nice so far. One thing I’ve found tho is how to see what services/code/images has been associated with an “App” and more importantly how can I remove a service from application context.

At this stage the only tools/commands I can find with the CLI is to define a new app with my different set of services and move the devices to this app.

Colin

Hi there Colin, welcome to the Forums. Just to make sure I understand correctly, you are talking about adding/removing containers (services) from an Application, correct? If that is the case, you basically just need to do another balena deploy from the directory that has your docker compose file, or you could even switch to some other directory on your local dev machine, and if you do a deploy from there that will be built and pushed to the device, effectively replacing what is in the Application previously.

There is some additional documentation that might help, located here: https://www.balena.io/docs/learn/deploy/deployment/

Hope that helps, thanks!

Thank you for the reply, note I"m also new to Docker generically so maybe missing certain fundamentals.

It’s sounds like your saying in essence that an App is essentially just a tag. You can deploy only a single Docker deployment to an app (although it itself can be a single or multi-container deployment). Thus, simply deploying another Docker application to the “App” replaces what was there.

Loosly correct?

Colin

Yes, you could say that deploying is like pushing a new tag in the sense that the application is built based on the contents of the Dockerfile or docker-compose.yml, etc. present in the directory. Just as described in the documentation linked by David above.

Therefore, the standard way to change the services of the application is to edit the underlying configuration and deploy the updated version.

Hope that makes sense.