Openbalena device not appearing in balena devices command

Openbalena is incredible so far, but I’m stuck on trying to test deploy some Pi Zero Ws. Did the os config method:

balena os configure balena-cloud-raspberry-pi-2.54.2+rev1-dev-v11.12.4.img --app pizerow

And the device appears on my network, even allows me to ssh into it, but after nearly 30 minutes it still doesn’t appear in my openbalena list.

Any ideas?

Scanning for local balenaOS devices... Reporting scan results
- 
  host:          ff60452.local
  address:       192.168.1.65
  osVariant:     development
  dockerInfo: 
    Containers:        1
    ContainersRunning: 1
    ContainersPaused:  0
    ContainersStopped: 0
    Driver:            aufs
    SystemTime:        2021-03-07T21:04:56.960684962Z
    KernelVersion:     4.19.118
    OperatingSystem:   balenaOS 2.54.2+rev1
    Architecture:      armv6l
  dockerVersion: 
    Version:    19.03.13-dev
    ApiVersion: 1.40

$ balena apps    
ID APP NAME SLUG    DEVICE TYPE     ONLINE DEVICES DEVICE COUNT
    1  myApp    myapp   fincm3          0              0
    4  pizerow  pizerow raspberry-pi    0              0
    3  raspi4   raspi4  raspberrypi4-64 0              0

$ balena devices          
ID UUID DEVICE NAME DEVICE TYPE APPLICATION NAME STATUS IS ONLINE SUPERVISOR VERSION OS VERSION DASHBOARD URL

On further inspection, might this be related to the Pi Zero and the fact that its latest BalenaOS version is 2.54.2+rev1-dev-v11.12.4? When I look at this github issue it seems like 2.58.3 or earlier will not work with openbalena?

Confirmed I think thats the problem, just tried to connect with a Pi4 (balena-cloud-raspberrypi4-64-2.71.3+rev1-dev-v12.3.5.img) and it IS showing in openbalena.

Hey there,
Yes as noted here

The current release of openBalena has the following minimum version requirements:

• balenaOS v2.58.3
  • balena CLI v12.38.5

Thanks

1 Like

@rahul-thakoor I’m just realizing now that this means that the Fin is incompatible with openbalena given that from what I can tell its latest available OS is balenaOS 2.38.0+rev1?

Hi

Recent balenaFin OS releases had a regression. That’s why we have pulled those releases. This is temporary while our engineers fix the issue, and release an update for balenaOS on balenFin.

@anujdeshpande might that regression have something to do with dbus and cellular modems?
I’m having a hair pulling and rather expensive experience (mmcli stuck in registered state? - #5 by barryjump) trying to get my fin back to a point where it works with my quectel modems.

And I just now noticed that my fin was originally running 2.58.3+rev1, but now it’s saying that 2.38.0 is the latest available.

Maybe you could shed some light on the regression?

Hey

Can you try 2.72? You should see it in the dashboard - that’s the most recent release now

I was able to get it working by using the 2.72 arm based image. The 64 bit one does not seem to work.

Hello,

Glad that it works :slight_smile:

As for 64-bit images, there are currently no releases for 64-bit os images for balenaFin. This is work-in-progress and you can track it here 64 bit version for Fin CM3 · Issue #305 · balena-os/balena-raspberrypi · GitHub

Thanks

Created issue for updating base Zero image for using with modern openBalena Latest version of balenaOS Raspberry Pi for Zero stuck at 2.54.2 · Issue #665 · balena-os/balena-raspberrypi · GitHub

Hello Thanks. You can trck the progress there. As my colleague mentioned. The os version should be out soon but we cannot provide a definitive ETA.

Cheers