Make a Wireless Alternative Controller Game

It’s been a long time since my last post, but I have some exciting updates to share with you. I’ve been slowly developing this game in my spare time and have even had the opportunity to showcase it at a couple of venues including the WASD Curios collection and at a private event at the Barbican where I exhibited alongside the famous Line Wobbler.

The game currently consists of a roughly 30 second demo which showcases a few different mechanics and some story bits. I was looking forward to seeing users play with it so that I could learn what sort of interactions resonated with them. Because this is a non-standard controller, I can’t assume that interacting with it will be as intuitive to players as it is for me. This was the first live games event that I had gone to since the pandemic started, and it was awesome seeing a lot of familiar faces from the indie games scene in London. It was also really exciting to be exhibiting in the same space as some of the studios that made my favorite games such as the studios that made Coffee Talk and 2064: Read Only Memories.

Here is an image of the setup at WASD Curios. Can you spot the Balena dashboard? :wink:

Here is a video of my friend playtesting the game:

I was also asked to showcase my game at a private networking event at the Barbican alongside some other members from the UK alt-ctrl community. This event was very chill, only a few people interacted with the games because they were mostly focused on networking. I spent most of my time enjoying this lovely space at the Barbican and having nice conversations with some of the attendees. It was a giant indoor greenhouse!

A view of my controller in front of the scenery:

A view of the greenery in the space:

There was even a lovely koi pond:

I was told that this event was a “gala” and that it would be quite dressy. I decided to put together this outfit. However, when I got there everyone was dressed on the casual end of business casual. I was wayyy overdressed. Oh well, at least I got to put together a cool outfit! Here is a pic of the outfit and #proofoflegs for my fellow Balena coworkers.