Is it possible to use a Rock64

Is it possible to bootstrap Balena OS onto a new ARM board? say the Rock64 4gb?

Have a look at the following pages, which have an overview of how to add support for a new board:

Also for reference, you can check the repos of other supported boards, like the Raspberry Pi:

If it is of interest and depending on the details, Balena may also be able to offer a custom hardware support package (a paid service). Check the sales contact details at the top of this page:

Let us know how you get on with it – we can help you further according to the direction you choose to go.

Hey @codefriar,

Did you ever get anywhere with the Rock64. I am beginning to explore using it for our project.

-Thomas

I’m also interested in the Rock64.
@tacLog and @codefriar I found https://github.com/trecetp/meta-rock64 which is the BSP for the Rock64.

I was able to run a BitBake build for core-image-base, but there’s no SD Image, so you need to partition it manually and place kernel, dtb and roofs in the right place. Maybe with balenaOS things could be different, but I haven’t tried much in that regard.

Hey @bernardoaraujor
We went with the Odroid xu4. Good luck with the rock64, I found it got way too warm for out application. I only ever tested it with Ubuntu, but I don’t think that would change anything.

Best of luck to you,
-Thomas

hi @tacLog thanks for your reply.
I was able to get in touch with the creator of meta-rock64.
We are collaborating and I think I will be able to submit a PR with a sdimage.bbclass to the layer soon.

Perhaps you should do your tests with balenaOS instead of Ubuntu. Ubuntu has a lot of bloatware and could be wasting some CPU power and causing the overheating.