How to save generated files in a container

Hi @balena, My dockerfile is working very well and the processed images are saved into the ‘outputs’ folder in the container running on the Nvidia Jetson integrated with Balena cloud. However, I am not able to save these images outside of the container. The below is my docker-compose file. I used ‘volumes’ but it seems not working.

version: '2'

volumes:
  edge-data:

services:
  rapid_edge:
    restart: always
    build: .
    network_mode: host
    privileged: true
    environment:
      - UDEV=1
    devices: 
      - "/dev:/dev"
    volumes:
      - 'edge-data:/outputs'

More specifically, I am saving the processed images at the end of a python script in my app dockerized in the container. For this, I am using the below line having opencv library write function to save the processed images.

cv2.imwrite('./outputs/frame_%d.jpg' % count, np_img, [cv2.IMWRITE_JPEG_QUALITY, 100])
    print('Saved image', count)
    count += 1

I am getting ‘Saved image …’ print output and the files are saved into ‘output’ folder in the container but not into the out of the container. I checked everywhere Host OS of the device including var/lib/docker/volumes but nothing was saved there.

Am I missing anything?

Hi,

on a quick check I’d say that the file path is pointing to the local path of the python execution context: ‘./outputs/frame_%d.jpg’.
In your docker-compose file you specify that the volume will be mounted to /output inside the running container (absolute path and without ‘s’)

Please try if changing to ‘/output/frame_%d.jpg’ fixes the issue.

For details I’m linking you the Balena documentation here: Communicate outside the container - Balena Documentation

Best Regards
Harald

Hi @fisehara, thanks a lot for a quick reply. I recognized that I miswrote ‘volumes’ part of docker-compose file in the forum. I fixed it on the post just now. Sorry for the confusion. Can you please look at it again to provide you with the accurate one?

I can say that there is no mismatch between the path in volume and the path in cv2.imwrite.

By the way, I saw the document you sent me before. For this, I can say that it seems my code follows it.

Do you have any else ideas?

@aktaseren the path is still wrong in your code, in your code you are using ./outputs, but you really want to write to /outputs (remove the .)

Guys thanks for the help. There was no issue with the paths in my python scripts. They are able to run without docker and now with docker. I made a silly mistake on docker-compose file that I recognized now. I should have coded mounting the volume in docker-compose as follows:

volumes:
      - 'edge-data:/app/outputs'

‘app’ is actually the main folder of my project that I containerize. In docker-compose file, I expected that I was already in the container and no need to add the main folder name at the start of the path. Now, adding ‘app’ solved this silly mistake.