How can I increase the partition size of my containers so I can add to /lib/module?

ah ok I fixed the permissions error by adding these two lines to Dockerfile.template:

RUN chmod +x build.sh
RUN chmod +x workarounds.sh

Will proceed to try out the rest now.

Just a note, I added this, too:

RUN chmod +x run.sh

After that I was able to push my container to my balenafin. However, when it boots up, I got this message in the logs:

Supervisor starting
 main  OS Version is 2.46.1+rev3
 main  Loading module from example_module_fincm3_2.46.1+rev3*
 main  insmod: ERROR: could not load module example_module_fincm3_2.46.1+rev3*/hello.ko: No such file or directory
 main  rmmod: ERROR: Module hello is not currently loaded

I get the same message when I run ./run.sh in the main container…

Notice that the version numbers don’t match up. The directory is called 2.29.0+rev1, but the run.sh script comes up with 2.46.1+rev3:

root@7a59785:/usr/src/app# ls -l example_module_fincm3_2.29.0+rev1.prod
total 14
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  245 Apr 30 14:19 Makefile
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    0 Apr 30 14:19 Module.symvers
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  389 Apr 30 14:19 hello.c
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3676 Apr 30 14:19 hello.ko
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  865 Apr 30 14:19 hello.mod.c
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2184 Apr 30 14:19 hello.mod.o
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2168 Apr 30 14:19 hello.o
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   68 Apr 30 14:19 modules.order

After that I attempted to hand-run the insmod command:
root@7a59785:/usr/src/app# insmod example_module_fincm3_2.29.0+rev1.prod/hello.ko
insmod: ERROR: could not insert module example_module_fincm3_2.29.0+rev1.prod/hello.ko: Invalid module format

Have you got any suggestions on how to proceed from here?

Thank you.

Hi there, just a quick check - are you setting the resin|balenaOS version in the build image to the same version as you expect to be using at runtime?

Ah! thank you very much! For the benefit of others in the future, I believe the way to find out the version is to run this in the container:
set | grep RESIN_HOST_OS_VERSION
RESIN_HOST_OS_VERSION=‘balenaOS 2.46.1+rev3’

Or is it better to examine the variable BALENA_HOST_OS_VERSION ?

And then, I modified the Dockerfile.template to look like this:
ENV VERSION ‘2.46.1+rev3’

After these mods, I was able to build and run the ./run.sh file and it indicates the mod was successfully inserted!

root@7a59785:/usr/src/app# ./run.sh 
OS Version is 2.46.1+rev3
Loading module from example_module_fincm3_2.46.1+rev3.dev
hello                  16384  0
Loading module from example_module_fincm3_2.46.1+rev3.dev_from_src
Loading module from example_module_fincm3_2.46.1+rev3.prod
Loading module from example_module_fincm3_2.46.1+rev3.prod_from_src

So thank you very much St. Aardvark and ab77! Now my next step is to try to build the ReSpeaker driver over at: https://github.com/respeaker/seeed-voicecard

Hi! I need to follow up with some more questions:

I have followed the instructions in the kernel module build repo and I was able to build my driver. I get three lovely .ko files from it. yay!

However, when I run insmod on the modules, I get:
insmod: ERROR: could not insert module snd-soc-wm8960.ko: Unknown symbol in module

when I check dmesg, I see:
[May 5 15:06] snd_soc_wm8960: Unknown symbol snd_soc_component_read32 (err -2)
[ +0.007282] snd_soc_wm8960: Unknown symbol snd_soc_put_enum_double (err -2)
[ +0.007028] snd_soc_wm8960: Unknown symbol snd_soc_component_write (err -2)
[ +0.007242] snd_soc_wm8960: Unknown symbol snd_soc_get_enum_double (err -2)
[ +0.007150] snd_soc_wm8960: Unknown symbol snd_soc_info_volsw (err -2)
(many more symbols are there, too).

And just for verification, I run cat /proc/kallsyms | grep snd_soc_ I don’t see anything… of course there are some symbols for snd_ctl and similar.

Does this mean I am missing a kernel module that contains soc_soc_* symbols? How can I find out what it is? is there a package I can install? I have been installing as man alsa- packages as I can find, but none are helping out.

Hi, there is a similar forum thread here Can not install in-tree kernel module, which has some additional advice. Can you check that first and let us know if you continue to have issues?

@diydsp I am now at the same juncture. What worries me is that the Makefile is supposed to copy the files to /lib/modules/$(uname_r)/kernel/*, but the they are not present.

In the thread that @garethtdavies lists, @ErikHH is able to load the generics via modprobe because they exist in /lib/modules/*.

When I go to load .ko files via modprobe, I experience:

modprobe: FATAL: Module snd-soc-ac108 not found in directory /lib/modules/4.19.75

I think it might be issues between the build.sh of kernel-module-build and seeed Makefile.

I’m going to explore deeper.

I can’t get past this :frowning:

Any luck @diydsp ?

Hello @dedline and @diydsp, we are looking into this topic and we hope to prepare some instructions on how to build the out-of-tree kernel modules for this microphone. We will ping back to this thread as we make progress. Stay tuned : )

1 Like

Hi @dedline, great to see someone else trying this. And @gelbal, we’d be so grateful to have your eyes on this. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Let me share my updated instructions - see below!
I am able to get quite far, but not quite use the microphone yet…
I am doing the same thing in parallel on my RPi where it works and it looks like the big difference is that on RPi, I end up with a /dev/controlC0 and controlC1. I think the C1 is the new device made by seeed driver, but it doesn’t show up on my balenafin…yet :wink:

Here is the current error I get:
root@7a59785:/usr/src/app# arecord -Dac108 -f S32_LE -r 16000 -c 8 a.wav
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1713:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
arecord: main:788: audio open error: No such device

and I’m guessing(?) it’s about control C1, because of the message when I strace this… Here are some excerpts from that strace:

open("/dev/snd/controlC0", O_RDWR|O_CLOEXEC) = 3
fcntl64(3, F_SETFD, FD_CLOEXEC) = 0
ioctl(3, SNDRV_CTL_IOCTL_PVERSION, 0x7edb5eb4) = 0
ioctl(3, SNDRV_CTL_IOCTL_CARD_INFO, 0x7edb5f0c) = 0
close(3) = 0
open("/dev/snd/controlC1", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/dev/aloadC1", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
[ … ]
open("/dev/snd/controlC31", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/dev/aloadC31", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
write(2, “ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1713:(_snd_pcm”…, 42ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1713:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) ) = 42
write(2, “Invalid value for card”, 22Invalid value for card) = 22
write(2, “\n”, 1
) = 1

Steps to build respeaker drivers from boot-up
export PS1=’\w>’
cd ../..
cp -rv src/kernel-module-build2/* .
export VERSION=2.46.1+rev3
chmod +x *.sh
./build.sh fincm3 $VERSION seeed-voicecard

Place to look for stuff
ls /dev/snd
On RPi, you end up with pcmC0* AND pcmC1*
A.k.a. controlC0 and controlC1.
Probably C1 is respeaker HW…

From install.sh
cd seeed-voicecard_fincm3_2.46.1+rev3.dev
mkdir /boot/overlays
cp seeed-2mic-voicecard.dtbo /boot/overlays
cp seeed-4mic-voicecard.dtbo /boot/overlays
cp seeed-8mic-voicecard.dtbo /boot/overlays

Further installation commands
# from “seeed-voicecard/”
# need to turn on 12c_arm
echo dtparam=i2c_arm=on >> /boot/config.txt
echo dtoverlay=i2s-mmap >> /boot/config.txt
echo dtparam=i2s=on >> /boot/config.txt
mount -t configfs none /config

# /etc/voicecard
mkdir /etc/voicecard || true
cp *.conf /etc/voicecard
cp *.state /etc/voicecard
cp seeed-voicecard /usr/bin/
cp seeed-voicecard.service /lib/systemd/system/

Prototype script to insert modules
cd seeed-voicecard_fincm3_2.46.1+rev3.dev
modprobe snd_soc_core
insmod snd-soc-wm8960.ko
modprobe snd_soc_simple_card_utils
insmod snd-soc-seeed-voicecard.ko
insmod snd-soc-ac108.ko
lsmod | grep snd

Recording test command
(this works on RPi)
arecord -Dac108 -f S32_LE -r 16000 -c 8 a.wav

1 Like

Hi @diydsp – thanks for the update, and glad to see you’re making progress. There are a couple problems we’re discussing now, so I want to make sure I keep them straight.

The first problem is that (as @dedline encountered), there are problems running a simple modprobe of the drivers. We’ll have something to share shortly, but have managed to get around it by:

• running modprobe snd-soc-simple-card first – this is required by the seeed modules;
  • and running insmod /full/path/to/snd-soc-ac108.ko (where /full/path/to is, of course, meant to be the full path to wherever the drivers live in the built containers).

With those changes, I’m able to load the modules on a Raspberry Pi 4. Keep in mind I do not have this hardware, so all I can tell you is that the modules load without any complaints. As I say, we should have code to share shortly. In the meantime – @diydsp, are you able to share the code that you have? It would be good to compare notes about how this was solved.

The second problem is whether or not these drivers work on a Balena Fin. @diydsp, you gave the example of arecord not working properly. It looks like arecord has options for setting the device it uses; can you try getting it to list the devices (--list-devices, --list-pcms) and see if you’re able to specify one of those with --device? If this doesn’t work, and further debugging is needed, I think it will be worth starting a new thread so that it’s not confused with the module issues discussed previously.

All the best,
Hugh

1 Like

Hi! Thank you for writing back. Yes, w/r/t the first problem, I am able to insert the modules similar to you. I don’t have any code, per se, because my application is simple enough that I can use aplay and arecord from python. But you can see the steps I used above to use the Balena out-of-tree code to build the Respeaker driver. That’s the line “./build.sh fincm3 etc”. If you’d like clarifications, I can go further. Once I am able to use the aplay and arecord commands, I will be in good shape.

The other steps I have above are extracted from the install.sh command which Seeed supplies in their github repo. Their stock install.sh does not work on BalenaFin/OS because it relies on many specific RPi things, such as in config.txt. So I am trying to make a new set of installation commands.

Here is my set of commands (from the above post) for inserting the kernel modules:
modprobe snd_soc_core
insmod snd-soc-wm8960.ko
insmod snd-soc-seeed-voicecard.ko
insmod snd-soc-ac108.ko
lsmod | grep snd

And for testing recording (this works on RPi):
arecord -Dac108 -f S32_LE -r 16000 -c 8 a.wav

W/r/t the second problem, yes, getting the drivers to do work is the next big challenge…
Below please see the output of aplay -L once my new installation steps are run. We can see that in the first few lines, new lines for the ReSpeaker mic array are visible. After that, the usual ones for BalenaFin appear. When I run the same command on the RPi, with working ReSepeaker mic array, I see the Seeed drivers appear just the same way. However, when I try to record with the codec, the strace shows some kind of error, possibly to do with not finding the proper /dev/snd/controlC* ?

I have been giving myself a crash-course in ASoC (alsa for System on a Chip). It seems to me that the codec drivers are working but there is no “card” appearing for this device. I’m still learning at a rapid pace… A new thread would be great, too. Thank you for your help.

Listing PCMS
root@7a59785:/usr/src/app/src/# aplay -L
null
Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
ac108
dmixer
ac101
sysdefault:CARD=ALSA
bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA
Default Audio Device
dmix:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0
Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1
bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI
dmix:CARD=ALSA,DEV=2
bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI1
dsnoop:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0
Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1
dsnoop:CARD=ALSA,DEV=2
hw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0
Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1
hw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=2
plughw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=0
Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=1
plughw:CARD=ALSA,DEV=2

Here’s the output of aplay --list-devices
root@7a59785:/usr/src/app/src/acoustic_sensors_acquire_sw# aplay --list-devices
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA]
Subdevices: 7/7
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 1: bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI]
Subdevices: 1/1
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 2: bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI1 [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI1]
Subdevices: 1/1

Hi @diydsp Could you please check this repo of one of our Engineers https://github.com/richbayliss/resin-seeed-voicecard. It will help you go through your project.

The build kernel part is a little bit outdated other than that everything is fine.

Generally, you don’t have to create a custom image for such projects and you can only do it using containers.

Please don’t hesitate to let us know if you still need help

All the best with your tinkering
Mahmoud

Cannot get this script to work with updating kernel headers from https://files.balena-cloud.com/

Could you please provide us some extra context about the issue you are facing with this script? Do you get any specific error messages?

I follow your instructions to the T.

I am able to finally insert the modules via the commands that you provided :pray: :pray:

Evidence:

I throw in alsa-utils to run arecord -Dac108 -f S32_LE -r 16000 -c 8 a.wav

I get the following error:
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM ac108
arecord: main:828: audio open error: No such file or directory

I am going to give it one more clean install / going through the process but I am growing discouraged.

ARG HEADERS_URL=“https://files.balena-cloud.com/esr-images/raspberrypi4-64/2020.04.0.dev/kernel_modules_headers.tar.gz
ARG HEADERS_PATH=/tmp/kernel_modules_headers

Hi there, if you replace the Dockerfile in the repository with this, it should build on RPi4-aarch64 platform.

Hi @ab77, the revisions to resin-seeed-voicecard you posted do not build for RPi4-aarch64:

I tried to build on a fresh RBPi3 which built, but external microphones do not appear when I arecord -l:

@diydsp could you be so kind to upload the project you leveraged to standup RBPi4 + ReSpeaker? To have a working reference point for standing up such a popular HAT on BalenaOS would be of great value for the inevitable future generations of BalenaOS users to come!

I was able to build and deploy a release using balena-cli for RPi4-aarch64 architecture. could you please try:

balena build --application RPi4-aarch64 \
  && balena deploy RPi4-aarch64

(replace RPi4-aarch64 with your applications name)