Editing Balena-Dash Scheduler

Hi team,

I have been using part of Balena Dash’s Scheduler code since it seems to be a great way to get chron jobs working at a container level. For my code, I would like to stop a container at night and start it again in the morning.

After starting with the Scheduler code, I know I need to interact with the Supervisor API. To do this, I changed the Dockerfile from alpine to alpine-python. In addition to that, it looks like the %%BALENA_MACHINE_NAME%% variable breaks the code for my Raspberry Pi 4, giving the error “invalid reference format: repository name must be lowercase”. I was able to get around this by using the image located at FROM balenalib/raspberrypi3-alpine-python

After that, I know interacting with the supervisor seems to require curl, so I add it via
RUN install_packages wget unzip curl

From there, I make the bash and python files executable and run start.sh, which I will paste here:

start.sh
#!/bin/bash

if [ "$ENABLE_TIMER" -eq "1" ]
then
  (crontab -l; echo "${TURN_ON:-0 8 * * *} /usr/src/turn_on.py") | crontab -
  (crontab -l; echo "${TURN_OFF:-0 23 * * *} /usr/src/turn_off.py") | crontab -
fi

crond -f

And here is the turn_off.py script that runs out of the start.sh file. The turn_on.py script is almost the same.

turn_off.py
import sys
import os

def turnOff():
    print('Turning off in turn_off.py')
    os.system('curl --header "Content-Type:application/json" "$BALENA_SUPERVISOR_ADDRESS/v2/applications/$BALENA_APP_ID/stop-service?apikey=$BALENA_SUPERVISOR_API_KEY" -d \'{"serviceName": "electronpi4"}\'')
    os.system('curl --header "Content-Type:application/json" "$BALENA_SUPERVISOR_ADDRESS/v2/applications/$BALENA_APP_ID/stop-service?apikey=$BALENA_SUPERVISOR_API_KEY" -d \'{"serviceName": "wifi-connect"}\'')
    os.system('curl --header "Content-Type:application/json" "$BALENA_SUPERVISOR_ADDRESS/v2/applications/$BALENA_APP_ID/stop-service?apikey=$BALENA_SUPERVISOR_API_KEY" -d \'{"serviceName": "keyboard"}\'')

turnOff()

While this compiles, the terminal throws the following errors:

Error Log

/usr/src/turn_off.py: line 1: import: not found
/usr/src/turn_off.py: line 2: import: not found
/usr/src/turn_off.py: line 3: syntax error: unexpected word (expecting “)”)

It seems like I am missing some frameworks to interact with the Supervisor API. Any thoughts on how to solve this?

TL;DR - Trying to interact with the Supervisor within the Scheduler container seems to throw errors.

If you want to use a python script without running it through the python interpreter you need to add a line at the top indicating which program should be used to execute the script:

$ python turn_off.py`

or turn_off.py needs to contain:

#!/bin/env python

import sys

see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shebang_(Unix)

You might be interested in https://github.com/balena-io/balena-sdk-python :wink: