Daisy Chaining the fin, a plan of action

Hello,
Fellow people that are limited by the sometimes multi-thousand dollar cost of long cable runs rejoice! For with this design you may be able to power up to 5-8 (or more if you are crazy) on one cat7 ethernet cable.

Design goals:
-As many fins on one cat 6 dc power bus as possible
-Not burning down a building by over amping wires
–By extension not making anything run too hot as to avoid shortening lifespans
-There doesn’t have to be data connections via these wires (there is 100% no way to do this with data)

Constraints queue to me:
-Managed active POE switch (client requirement)
-Nothing that involves custom crimping of rj45 connectors (I get around that)

Links to buy this stuff:
The blue triangle
The red triangle
The green thing
The active to passive converters

If I could though I would cut off converters and replace them and the switch with two of these injectors to really pack in the wattage. I would be worried about putting more than 8 fins on cat6 cable though. 801.3bt says the cable can get up to 10 C warmer under that kind of load, maybe use cat7 shielded for that kind of thing.

POE_fin_chain

What I have tested:
The blue and red triangle pattern works, I need more green things to test the rest.

I would love some feedback from anyone. @chrisys @ntzovanis if you have a second for your thoughts.

What do you think I should watch out for as I test this? What is my greatest risk of failure? Any improvements you would make?

Thanks
-Thomas

1 Like

@tacLog

Hi Thomas, that’s an interesting setup! Here’s my two cents.

I would try to make sure the upstream “blue triangles” can handle that amount of current, especially on the single-ended side, without getting too hot. Have you peeked inside one of those to see how they are assembled?

Cheers,
Nico

Hey @tacLog, glad to see you’ve got a plan together.

Personally I’d be trying to remove the green thing, it seems superfluous. As you’re running on 24V passive PoE, have you tested taking a jumper cable from the 4 pin header and feeding it straight into the Phoenix connector or barrel jack?

1 Like

Hey @chrisys

That is a great idea!, it works!

1 Like

To be clear to everyone, this will only work with 24v passive POE.

For POE type B, the kind used by ubiquity and other injectors you need to connect pins 3, 4 with 4 being (+) to ether the barrel or the Phoenix jack.

Refer to the schematics on the last page for why it works.

-Thomas

1 Like

@ntzovanis

That is a great thing to test for and think about. I haven’t had any spares I can take a knife to yet, but next week I will take one apart.

I also plan on doing some kind of load test for 24 hours to see if anything gets hot.

Also using a multimeter to test resistance? This is not my field.

-Thomas

That’s cool that works OK! It should be OK with the 12V passive injectors that are available too.

1 Like

@tacLog

Those two tests should be enough to get a sense of how the connector would behave. If the resistance is low enough and it doesn’t get hot under a decent load it should be ok. Just make sure that you measure the resistance with cables connected at both ends, something like probe -> cat 6 cable -> connector -> cat 6 cable -> probe.

Cheers,
Nico