[Configizer] Are postActions mandatory? Why isn't there a config for countrycode ?

Hello!
I am planning to use configizer script.
I will have to refactor it to feet our needs, (I can make a PR if my refactor add not-too-specific value).

Maybe someone from balena or with advanced knowledge arround supervisor can answer my 2 questions :

1. Are postActions mandatory or can’t I just wait for the user to reboot his device for changes to take effect? (eg. udev postinsert)

2. Is there a reason to make only a subset of possible config.json values configizer-able ? (I am thinking of countrycode here, but my question apply to more generic conf)

Thanks for all,
I work with balena since 4 years now, but I only dig deeper now and that’s exciting !

Hi, to give some context about the configizer tool, ideally all hostOS configuration should happen via the supervisor. However as you know there is only a subset of options that are configurable via the supervisor at the moment, and finishing this has not yet got into the team’s priority queue.
The reason for this might be that we provided configizer to perform this configuration while the supervisor gained the functionality, so customer pressure has eased on this front (which is why in my opinion configizer was not the right solution).

Anyway, I hope the above answers your questions. There is not much enthusiasm in supporting configizer as it is the wrong tool for the task, but that’s the only option currently available for mass device configuration.

About post actions, most changes in config.js in modern balenaOS releases will apply at runtime, with the corresponding services being restarted when the change happens. Some changes (like persistent logs) still require a reboot though.

Thank you for your answer. I greatly appreciate you (Balena) transparency.

Anyway, I hope the above answers your questions. There is not much enthusiasm in supporting configizer as it is the wrong tool for the task, but that’s the only option currently available for mass device configuration.

That is what I thought… Just for my culture, if you pass here and got some time, would you please point me to supervisor code in charge of applying such Dashboard configuration update?

see you :slight_smile:

Hello,

Perhaps this might be helpful?

Thanks

Looking at your message again

Just for my culture, if you pass here and got some time, would you please point me to supervisor code in charge of applying such Dashboard configuration update?

Did you mean configurations values set in the dashboard? of values in config.json ?

Anyway,I think the linked supervisor repo will be helpful.

Thanks