Can not get the device up after flash balena OS onto SD card

I followed the instructions in Openbalena Getting Started Guide | Open Balena to make my device (Nvidia Jetson Tx2) connect with my openbalena instance.
After doing balena os configure, I flash the image onto my SD card, and insert to my device( TX2), but the device shows:

balena OS 2.47.0 59d6c25 tty1
59d6c25 login

I typed my openbalena instance’s login email and password, and it shows the Login incorrect
The balena OS version I download is 2.47.0+rev2 and it’s the development version.

Hi, in order to ssh into the device, can you try the steps provided in this blog post?

Hi, I just want to make my online on my self-hosted openbalena
after trying several times, I can login with “root” and without password nearly now.
But when I check with the command, balena devices, on my server
It doesn’t show any device is online now.
Is it normal? Can I directly deploy my application?

balena apps
ID APP NAME SLUG DEVICE TYPE ONLINE DEVICES DEVICE COUNT
1 myApp myapp jetson-tx2 0 0

balena devices
ID UUID DEVICE NAME DEVICE TYPE APPLICATION NAME STATUS IS ONLINE SUPERVISOR VERSION OS VERSION DASHBOARD URL

Can you confirm that you followed the steps outlined here: https://www.balena.io/open/docs/getting-started#3-Generating-the-image-file ? There should be no interaction required on the device itself before showing online on your openbalena instance.

Yes, I followed the steps on the website that you provided
I added the argument “–version 2.47.0+rev2” after the balena os configure.
But I can’t make my device online, and that’s reason why I login my device to see what happen

Is the image that you are using production or development flavour? The development flavour will allow passwordless SSH, which should give us further information.

In addition, we should be checking that your device can definitely access the openbalena instance. For example is the self-signed certificate being applied correctly etc. Obviously having a development flavour OS image will allow us to check on this too.

Yes, I used the development one.
Could you tell me how to check my device can access to my openbalena instance?
THANK YOU!!!

If you SSH into your device, and run journalctl -f -a -n 1000 we should see any issues that the device has when trying to connect to the instance.

I followed this: HowTo: SSH into host device to ssh my device
but it shows:

ssh root@8b0f5ca.balena
Via vpn.openbalena.demo:3128 → 8b0f5ca.balena:22222
HTTP return code: 404 Not Found
ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host

It seems there’s some problem on Internet connection
Should I directly login the device and run journalctl -f -a -n 1000?

Hi, I nearly login my device, and run journalctl -f -a -n 1000
and it keeps showing:

8b0f5ca os-config[873]: Awaiting service configuration…
8b0f5ca bash[843]: resin-device-register: Not connected. Trying again…

Hi there,

Have you checked the responses in your OpenBalena server?
you should be able to ping https://api.{your-domain}/ping and get 200 OK

If that doesn’t work in can be a certificates problem on your config

Hi,
Thanks for your replying
It shows OK on the ping.

You’ll need to SSH into the device and run curl -i https://api.{your-domain}/ping. Does that also return OK?

Hi, I can not SSH into my device, because after inserting the sd card where I flashed the configured balena os onto, the device keeps shutdown every times after a few seconds of booting.

Can you try another SD and a high quality power supply? The device shutting down is not at all common and certainly not normal operation so you should focus your debugging effort there first.

The device shows two error messages before shutting down. One is about the power, but Nvidia indicated the message is just a warning message and not fatal on their website.
The other one is about GPT, though I try another SD or run sgdisk -e, it still shows the error:

GPT: Primary header thinks Alt. header is not at the end of the disk.
GPT:2670591 != 61071359
GPT: Alternate GPT header not at the end of the disk.
GPT:2670591 != 61071359
GPT: Use GNU Parted to correct GPT errors.
mmcblk0: p1 p2 p3 p4 p5 p6 p7p p8 p9 p10 p11 p12 p13 p14 p15 p16 p17 p18 p19 p20 p21…

Could anyone tell me how to fix this error?

Hi there, that sounds like a faulty SD card/underpowered supply. Some suggestions would be to check the power supply voltage, make sure it is capable delivering sufficient current and try another SD card.