Build festive lighting for the holidays with balena, Christmas lights

I will look it up when I get home

ok so i had to do it all over again with a fresh copy of everything other than the OS. It seems to be working just have to hook up my Fadecandy board and lights and try it out. BTW the site where I downloaded the Glediator software is here https://oneguyoneblog.com/2017/03/21/arduino-neopixel-shield-glediator/

BTW @chrisys did you ever get a chance to look and see why it would not work with the new balenaOS?
when i tried the first few times it just kept starting the services over and over. then i tried to use the same version of the balenaOS that you did in the posted project and it worked.

Hey @edgeedj1982,

The last time I checked your container, I also tried installing the project on the latest OS. There was a bug in docker-compose file which we got fixed in a relevant PR:

Please check the latest project version (from the master branch) - I believe it should work for you.

Ok thanks I will

hi i decided to try this project again and was wondering if there was a way to get it to work with xlights or vixen in place of gladiator? i got it up and running but the creator of gladiator is MIA and the site is gone. the program is not very user friendly and glitches alot when using it. Balena is the only software that i can find that will operate my fadecandy controller so i really want to use it and if i can get it to work well i will expand my show. thank you for your help.

Update, I got xlights to talk to my fadecandy but I can’t get it to change my lights. I am trying to reach out to the xlights community for help too. I really want this to work. Any help or input would be great thanks.

Greetings, @edgeedj1982!

Did you ever get this sorted out? Inspired by your post, I looked into XLights - and have had success (with much help / support from @chrisys :)) in getting XLights to talk directly to the FadeCandy server (with updated config shifting it’s OPC channel from 0 to 1). As you suggest in this thread (or perhaps the other) - I think bundling the Falcon Player along with the pre-recorded XLights sequences could be pretty awesome. Something to work on over the next 11 months, right?

At any rate - just wanted to follow up on this particular thread, as I came across it again while looking for another.

Thanks again for the inspirate, and the motivation for more learning!

Peace,
Billy

Hey @SnoWake,

Yes I kinda got it figured out. I can use my Fadecandy with xLights now but I have to have a separate computer to run the show. I was hoping someone smarter than me could make it all work in the same Pi. Thank you for checking in on me. Can’t wait to see what comes of it next year.

1 Like

Glad to see the discussion proceeding with Xlights. Do let folks on the forums know if anyone made progress on using XLights finally, happy to help if anyone has any questions.

2 Likes

Sounds like lots of time but the sort of thing I would still leave to mid December :joy:

1 Like

@edgeedj1982 My initial focus will be on getting the Falcon Player (FPP) container integrated into the mix. This will allow running sequences created and exported from xLights - thereby retaining the “all-in-one-tin” approach.

I struggled with that, even though the FPP project already provides a Dockerfile, dockerbuild.sh, etc – which builds and runs on my Mac just fine. I got some help here in the forums, which got me further (but not all the way) – so I need to get back to it. Last I checked, the build was failing on VLC, for some reason…

I’ll be sure to bump this or any other relevant threads, if and when I make progress. Wait – it’s February already? :upside_down_face:

1 Like