Build a self-hosted, voice-controlled mood tracker using Rhasspy and balena

Please use the thread below to discuss the related blog post:

https://balena.io/blog/build-self-hosted-voice-controlled-mood-tracker-rhasspy-balena/

I’m curious how hard it would be to adapt this to an I2S MEMS microphone such as: Adafruit I2S MEMS Microphone Breakout - SPH0645LM4H : ID 3421 : $6.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits. The form factor is so much more compact and it doesn’t occupy a precious USB port.

I would like to implement this project on a Pi Zero 2 for the compact form factor. Do you think the new Zero can handle this project?

Thanks for the interesting and well-documented project!

Hi @meyotch,

We’re glad to hear you find the project interesting!

Although it was developed and tested on the RPi3 (64-bit OS), I’m confident that the project should work on a RPi Zero 2 with a 64-bit OS (albeit a bit slower than on the RPi3), especially considering that none of the other services require nearly as much resources as Rhasspy (which is compatible with the Pi Zero, as per their documentation). Regarding the MEMS microphone, I spoke to some colleagues and we believe that it’s unlikely that it will work with the audio block, which is the component we rely on to get audio data into the container running Rhasspy. I have even tried to find a driver compatible with Pulseaudio (which is used in the audio block), and came across this project on GitHub, but indeed it is known not to work well with PA.

We’re looking forward to seeing your progress in this project!

Let us know if there is anything we can help with :slight_smile:

Cheers!

1 Like