Bluetooth service dead on Jetson TX2/CTI Orbitty

I’m trying to use bluetooth on a CTI Orbitty/Jetson TX2 platform, but the service reports “dead”.

Any suggestions?

root@a1c7bde:~# systemctl start bluetooth
root@a1c7bde:~# systemctl status bluetooth
● bluetooth.service - Bluetooth service
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/bluetooth.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: inactive (dead)
Docs: man:bluetoothd(8)

Hi @equack, are you running this from the host OS or within a container? (If within a container, what base image?) What balenaOS version are you using?

Do any logs come up if you run journalctl -u bluetooth?

Could you share the output of rfkill list?

Thanks!

@pcarranzav ,

This was run from the host OS, but of course I’ll need bluetooth access from a container next. Right now my app gets as far as “waiting for bluetoothd”.
I’m running “balenaOS 2.31.5+rev1 development” supervisor 9.11.3

Here’s the output you requested:

root@a1c7bde:~# journalctl -u bluetooth
– Logs begin at Tue 2019-04-23 19:36:05 UTC, end at Tue 2019-04-23 23:06:20 UTC. –
– No entries –

root@a1c7bde:~# rfkill list
0: bluedroid_pm: bluetooth
Soft blocked: yes
Hard blocked: no
1: phy0: wlan
Soft blocked: no
2: brcmfmac-wifi: wlan

@equack could you try rfkill unblock bluetooth and starting the bluetooth service again? (I’ll ask our OS experts for other ideas though)

@pcarranzav,

It removes the soft block but it’s still “dead”. Here’s the output:

root@a1c7bde:~# rfkill unblock bluetooth
root@a1c7bde:~# rfkill list
0: bluedroid_pm: bluetooth
1: phy0: wlan
2: brcmfmac-wifi: wlan
root@a1c7bde:~# systemctl start bluetooth
root@a1c7bde:~# systemctl status bluetooth
● bluetooth.service - Bluetooth service
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/bluetooth.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: inactive (dead)
Docs: man:bluetoothd(8)

Does running modprobe btusb and then systemctl restart bluetooth a few times in a row help?

@dfunckt

The btusb module is not installed.

root@a1c7bde:~# modprobe btusb
modprobe: FATAL: Module btusb not found in directory /lib/modules/4.4.38-l4t-r28.2+g174510d

Hi @equack , I think it will be best if we get our one of our device engineers to reproduce this issue on a device local to them. Which version of balenaOS are you seeing this issue on and are you able to give us a simple process to reproduce the issue, or is it in this state on very first boot?

@shaunmulligan I’m using balenaOS 2.31.5+rev1 development. It is in this state from the first boot as far as I can tell.

Hi, we created an issue in the relevant repository in order to track this: https://github.com/balena-os/balena-jetson-tx2/issues/129

An update: I understand that this issue is resolved by balena-jetson-tx2 PR #133, which includes this explanation about the fix:

The HCI UART device /dev/ttyTHS3 is used for bluetooth and the hciattach command needs to be done before starting the bluetooth.service.

That PR/fix is included in balenaOS v2.33.0+rev3 or later. At the time of this writing, our staging environment had release v2.33.0+rev4 available (being tested), while the production environment is still at 2.31.2+rev1. So the fix is coming to production in the near future.

The fix mentioned above should now be in OS v2.35, which is in production now. Let us know if this doesn’t fix the issue!