I am trying to use DLE (Data Length Extension) to increase the throughput of connections to sensors attached over BLE. This feature was introduced in the 4.2 bluetooth spec that is supposed to be supported by the Fin.
My custom application sends commands directly to the HCI device since DLE and other newer features are not yet supported by Bluez. I have successfully used DLE on a Raspberry Pi 3B+, but on the Fin I get an “Unknown HCI Command” response, which is consistent with a 4.1 or earlier device.
I tracked down the module used on the v1.1 Fin, but am having a hard time finding documentation on the actual chipset being used in the module.
I’ve come up with three potential solutions, but they depend on more information:
- Is there newer firmware that can be loaded onto the HCI device that would support DLE? I don’t know the chip model, so I can’t track this down.
- Is there a newer alternate module (with DLE support) that I could have placed on a custom batch of Fins?
- USB dongle… I would prefer not to use a USB dongle because many of them do not have an external antenna (which my application requires) among other reasons.
- Can someone provide a model number for the bluetooth chip being used, so I can track down documentation and firmware?
- And is there an alternate module I could have put on the Fin that supports newer BLE features?