Automated update of balena hostOS

Hello,

I am having the following challenge:

Assume I have tens of thousands of devices on a production fleet and I need to deploy a new firmware release that only works with a newer version of the Balena hostOS. Unlike the firmware releases I cannot pin an offline device to a specific version of Balena hostOS. Meaning at the moment I would have to manually pin every single device when they come online (assume there are offline devices in stock that are not yet installed, and in transit) which is quite a hassle.

My question is whether there is a way to automate pinning a device to a specific Balena hostOS version?

Ideally it would be great if I could do it from a privileged application container, or during a docker building process of the containers.

I looked at balenaHUP, but it seems they do not support Raspberry Pi 4s. I am also using BalenaCloud and not openBalena.

Let me know if this issue has already been explored, or further clarification is needed.

Thanks,
Roland

Hi there,

As you’ve noticed, there is no built-in balena cloud feature right now to pin a fleet or a device to a specified HostOS version. You could take a look at this block: GitHub - balena-labs-projects/autohupr: Automatically keep your balenaOS host release up-to-date with this block! - while I haven’t used it personally I believe its been designed to do what you’ve described - worth a try!

Thanks Ryan,

I will give this a go and report back!

Hi Ryan,

I can confirm that this approach works for automating hostOS updates.

Thanks for the help! The thread can be closed as solved.

Cheers,
Roland