Should we unset "audio=on" if we don't use audio?

We are running multiple services on a pi0 with some issues w/ supervisor and/or some containers getting jammed. One consideration was that perhaps we were running against resource limits, so we have started pruning out services that we don’t use (e.g. bluetooth, plymouth).

As we don’t use audio, should I unset “audio=on” in the DT parameters for these systems? Would that help w/ resource usage?

Thanks

1 Like

Hello, the audio=on/off DT parameter only prevents the onboard sound card drivers from being loaded, I don’t think it will affect performance at all. You could very well be using a DAC or similar device with audio=off and still have working audio output.

I don’t believe there is much performance to be gained from audio related systems. As far as I know there are no services or daemons related to audio/ALSA handling as everything is done at the kernel level, so nothing that can be disabled there. I’ve asked our devices team to see if they have any useful tricks to add, we’ll get back to you once they reply.

1 Like

Hey there,
So our devices team got back and unfortunately they don’t have anything more recommendations in this regard.
They did suggest to try and disable unused services from the container application, like ModemManager, bluetoothd & hciuart etc as you are already doing. Perhaps you can find other unused services and disable them to see if it helps.

Thanks
Rahul

1 Like

Thanks. I appreciate you following up.

1 Like