Manage/update applications on an offline device

Yeah, the reinstall would likely not be the best way.

1. the device persistent data cannot really be saved/restored on another device easily. I believe this is on the roadmap as well, but further down
  2. the device ID (and thus the device) you can preserve, by generating a new config.json with the same UUID such as balena config generate --device UUID --generate-device-api-key (see balena config generate --help for more info) and adding that configuration to your image you are using to reinstall the device (e.g. with a preloaded image, so it runs your updated application). Note that the wifi settings of that option are legacy (for balenaOS 2.x need to have separate NetworkManager config files added, tose options by the cli are not effective, we are trying to make this clearer)

For further investigation, though:

• you can add an ssh key to the config.json https://github.com/balena-os/meta-balena#sshkeys so you can have access to the device even if production device, with your own key locally
  • probably manually / with some scripting, could get the persistent data out of the device
  • if I recall, there was some work being done preloading data out of the device, will have to confirm whether that’s working and if does, how exactly?

With these pieces at hand, with an on the spot preloaded image generation might work as you describe. Will be checking it with our team and get back to you with more details.

Thanks for this input.

1. Persistent data. Not so worried about this. Yes, I believe I can backup/restore this manually through some scripting.
  2. Device ID: generating a new config does not really sound like a scalable solution. Then I would have to provide a machine specific image to be able to upgrade offline. I would much rather have that the installation could just inherit existing device ID (and preferably inherit the persistent data as well).

But I am looking forward to hear whether your team has other input.

Hi @imrehg

I have tried this balena config generate which outputs the config.json file. Where must this be located?

I have tried to overwrite the /flash-boot/config.json in the base os image, but it seems to be the wrong config.

I am using:

balena config generate --device ${BalenaDeviceUUID} --network ethernet --generate-device-api-key --version 2.39.0 --appUpdatePollInterval 10 --output config.json

and

balena preload ./{IMAGE} --app {BalenaApplicationId} --pin-device-to-release --commit {BalenaCommitHash} --splash-image {SPLASH_SCREEN} --api-token β€œ${token}”

The offline installation create a new device and do not reuse the old device in the balena cloud when connected again

Hi,
Depending on what you want to achieve you could use the CLI to put the config.json in the right place for you.
If you have the os image on the filesystem use: balena os configure <image> or if you have the image already flashed to disk you can use balena config inject <file>,
Kind regards,
Theodor

Tried the balena os configure command which allowed for a old balena cloud device to be reused without creating a new device