I’m trying to configure RPi4 balena device to work with a cellular modem.
For this purpose, I started by generating a new image for the device using the
balena os download
balena register (to get a new UUID for the device)
cli commands, and then the following command to configure the modem:
balena os configure device.img --device $UUID --config-network ethernet --config-app-update-poll-interval 10 --version v2.51.1+rev1 --system-connection ./cellular
where my cellular file is:
After executing the command, I see the output:
Configuring operating system image
Copied system-connection file: cellular
And I indeed see the cellular file had been copied to the /resin-boot/system-connections/ volume of the SD card.
However, after inserting the SD card into the device, connecting the modem to it, and booting it,
There is no internet connectivity.
Examining the device by connecting it to ethernet, additionally reveals that:
- There is only eth0 interface, as well as balena0, br-8c51e5045d3d, lo, resin-dns, resin-vpn, supervisor0, wlan0 interfaces, no modem related interface.
- no /dev/ttyACM* or /dev/ttyUSB* exists
- lsusb doesn’t show the modem neither
- dmesg doesn’t show anything related to the modem
- the cellular file is not at /resin-boot/system-connections/
A few more points to note:
I’m using the latest balena-cli - 12.10.1
The same modem with the same SIM card works automatically without any issues on another Pi device with regular Raspbian OS.
Would appreciate your help configuring the device to work with the modem.
Thank you in advance!