Build festive lighting for the holidays with balena, Christmas lights 2020

Well - it’s that time of year, the year after

I busted out my rig, got it all setup (I use it in an outdoor display) and running. Then went to add a couple of additional strands (I built out my FadeCandy with all 8 channels ‘exposed’), and… POP!

Seems one of my CAT6 ‘extensions’ must have been shorted out (while my LEDs are outdoor rated, and the rig goes in a waterproof box - the ‘extension’ connectors are exposed to the elements). As soon as I plugged it in - everything died. Never expected to have to open this box again - it’s been so reliable as a ‘headless’ appliance.

Took me more than a few minutes to realized I’d cooked the Meanwell power supply. Only then did it occur to me…

Maybe this thing should have a fuse? :smiley:

Barely got it deployed in time this year, and still no progress with the containerized version of Falcon player to stream xLight sequences.

@chrisys Can you share the original .step file for the project case? I’m dropping in a simple inline fuse holder, for now - but in the spirit of making this a headless, sealed ‘appliance’ - I’d like to case-mount the ATC fuse holder, for easy access without a screwdriver.

Also, I couldn’t find the snap-in IEC C14 connector, and ended up with the screw-mount type. Was easy enough to mark and drill - but why not “pre-drill” them while printing? :smiley:

Thanks in advance, and – Happy Holidays!

@SnoWake sorry for the delay here! I’ve been off for the holidays and was staying off the computer for a while. Happy to hear you are still using the project! I too dug mine out and had it working as well, it’s my oldest still-active balena device, created back in 2018.

I created the original designs in Fusion 360 and have exported to STEP files here - let me know if this works or if I can help in any other way.

Pie tray v7.step (83.0 KB)
Box v6.step (556.3 KB)

1 Like

Outstanding - thanks so much @chrisys ! We had a really, REALLY wet winter here – and while my pixels themselves, and the enclosure I use to house the 3D printed case are both waterproof - unfortunately, my CAT6-based ‘extenders’ are not: Guessing water got between the in-no-way-rated-for-outdoor-use JST connectors. I cooked off two Meanwell power supplies this season.

My panel-mount fuse holders have arrived, so - time for some Fusion 360 fun: I’ve been quite enjoying learning my way around that complicated tool. Case-in-point: I built and printed this custom ‘mount’ for the fake tree that serves as the ‘frame’ for my display. It replaces the three slide-in legs, which don’t work at all in my chosen (deck rail) mounting location.

2 Likes