1st try with RPi4, is it working

Hi Malcolm,

I hear you: it’s disheartening when you can’t get something to work and don’t know why. I don’t have a 2Gb Pi4 to try, but I’ve just flashed my 4Gb with the deploy button, and it worked OK. I can access the .local site no problems.

If you still have the energy/patience to keep trying, you push the button and try again. By using the DWB button you will have a balena application with full control and SSH access, so we can look into what isn’t working:

Let me know if you want to have another go!
Phil

I’m happy to give it another go if someone can give further guidance. I’m not a software engineer but do dabble, so I’d need an idiots guide to what you’re suggesting… for instance I don’t know what you’re refering to with “DWB”.
So far I’ve simply downloaded the image from this site and expected it to just work, including a front end local web access page. Diving in further will need blow by blow assistance.

Hey,

If you click the github link above, and scroll down the readme file that appears, you’ll find the Deploy With Balena (DWB) button, it’s blue with the logo. This page will guide you further about this button:

When you have clicked that, and the application builds in your cloud account, you can add a device and flash the SD card, and your Pi4 will appear in your application. This will run the same code as the steps you followed previously, only it puts the application into your own balenaCloud account, rather into the one we control for FoldForCovid. If you the device gets back into this “downloading” loop, then you can enable support access and we take a look, or guide you in how to SSH into the device and find out what’s happening.

Phil

Hi. Ok, done that, and I now have an app listed on my Dashboard on BalenaCloud Dashboard, green tick beside Online.
Still no local web page access to my local ip address 192.168.1.162
So, what’s next?
The log seems to show cycling round being unable to open a directory:
boinc-client dir_open: Could not open directory ‘locale’ from ‘/usr/app/boinc’.

Hi Malcolm, I just sent you a private message asking for the device’s dashboard URL (basically the device UUID) and support access enabled. So we (balena team) could take a look at the device and investigate the logs.

ok, I think I’ve shared with you the information you want. Support enabled for 3 hours.

Malcolm hello again, I took a look at the device and I see that Device Diagnostics page reports an issue with test_write_latency. I also see the following error in device logs:

Oct 09 13:36:07 balenad[1447]: time="2020-10-09T13:36:07.340794833Z" level=error msg="Handler for GET /containers/2d15a0cd0925ead5538382c6fa5c1cb3bc6dd13ddf5aba9ff26a066b02e7aa5f/json returned error: write unix /var/run/balena-engine.sock->@: write: broken pipe"

I wonder if the SD card is the issue. I checked and see that you are using Kingston SD card (man:0x000041 oem:0x3432 name:SD8GB hwrev:0x3). Searching for it, I see some other users online reporting issue with this particular SD card.

Is it possible for you to try out a different SD card?
(I mean flashing a new SD card and re-provisioning the device)

Hi, Now flashed image to a Samsung 16Gb sdcard.
Same symptoms so far. I’ve PM’d you the new UUID, and enabled remote support for 1 week.

Hi,

Thanks for your effort so far on this.
I’ve collected some logs from the device and gave a note to the respective team to further investigate this.
I’ve also opened a GitHub issue where you can track progress on this:

We will keep you updated.

Kind regards,
Thodoris

Do I assume no further news means this issue is well down on the jobs list, or is it early days yet?

@mpeill it looks like you can try removing the mem_reservation line from the compose file for the UI container. One of our engineers tried this and had some success. Could you also try and let us know how that works out for you?